PDA

View Full Version : Removing outer leaf of brickwork

kimheaver
2004-09-01, 08:08 AM
Hi all,

I'm doing an addition which has double brick walls.
The existing house is all in the existing phase.

Q1. How do I get the existing phase to show the walls as double leaf.

Q2. How do I show just the outer leaf demolished from one of the existing walls.

Thanks,
Kim Heaver

beegee
2004-09-01, 08:44 AM
An interesting problem.

In order for the double brick skins to work with windows and doors and roofs/ floors, the wall needs to be a composite ( brick air gap brick )

Its not possible to demolish just one component of this wall.

Solution:
Split the wall where demolition is required.
Demolish the wall portion.
Insert a single skin brick wall into the demolished opening, then change its phase to existing.
Join geometry of the single skin wall with the other existing walls so that it displays as one piece.
Ignore warnings of overlapped walls.

So its doable, but messy if you have a lot of it.

kimheaver
2004-09-01, 12:10 PM
Another question on double brick walls,

for a boxed eave the external leaf is set down 3 courses below the plate height, how is that done in revit, it only really shows in a section.

Regards,
Kim

beegee
2004-09-01, 09:28 PM
Hi Kim,

In wall Edit Properties, select Structure>Preview>Section, then select the outer leaf. Select Modify, then hover over the top of the wall and you will see a locked padlock in blue. Unlock that , then repeat the process for the air gap layer.

Now return to the Properties window and you will be able to enter a top extension distance, which in this case you enter as a minus distance to drop the outer two layers down.

blads
2004-09-01, 11:04 PM
Kim,

you can also use this same process for lowering outer leaf brickwork over a receesed edge slab.

kimheaver
2004-09-02, 12:49 AM
Thanks Beegee & Bladams,

They were 2 things that bothered me.

Regards,
Kim

funkman
2004-09-02, 01:18 AM
HI Kim,

I am just wondering why you need to remove the single skin of bkw? Is it that you want the finished product to appear to have been built at the same time as the existing? Or is there another reason?

Just curious...

kimheaver
2004-09-02, 01:55 AM
HI Kim,

I am just wondering why you need to remove the single skin of bkw? Is it that you want the finished product to appear to have been built at the same time as the existing? Or is there another reason?

Just curious...

The internal leaf is structural, the outer leaf just keeps the rain off the inner leaf.
Where space is tight you can gain 160mm by removing the outer leaf.

Regards,
Kim