PDA

View Full Version : Curved Column Grids

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-06, 03:09 PM
What are folks doing to have curved grids and bubbles? Need a good technique, fast!

Wesley
2003-05-06, 10:33 PM
I have used detail lines, set to the appropriate line pattern (I forget which that is!) for the curved grid lines, and a component for the bubble. This has to be copied up onto each plan. The radial (crossing) grids can be normal ones. It would also be possible to use a zero length grid line for the bubble at the end of each of the curved grids, but then you have to readjust the grid line length in each view.

Note: this does NOT give you the gridlines in an elevational or sectional view! :cry: You will have to do that manually.

I have put this in as a wishlist item before, might have to readd it to the list.
Wes

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-06, 10:39 PM
Thanks Wes.

The column line with no "length" might be a good way to avoid having to add it at least. But then like you said you've got to play with the length in each view.

I sure would like to have em right now!

Yman
2003-05-07, 03:09 PM
I think I figured out a way. I did some trial stuff a while ago and use this technique for other things.

In a plan view , Create an in-place family. Select Generic Model and then go to object settings and create a new objects style (subcategory) in the generic model called "Radius grid" and then assign lineweights and set your linte style the same as your grid line style. OK out of object settings. Then draw a symbol line (select your radius grid, projection style in the pulldown of the option bar) in the radius of what you want. Then draw a model line (invisible) in the center of your building (you need at least one model line or object to show all symbol lines in plan views). It can be of any length. Then go to a section view and draw a symbol invisible line the whole way through your project vertically. Go back to plan view and finish sketch. Go to each view and you should see your radius grid lines in each floor. Use the linework tool ( and select the same line style as of your grid lines) and select one of the radius grid lines and they will now be over everything.

Now to for grid bubbles just add generic symbols and change the text to what you want. Group them and then paste-aligned to each floor. I will post a symbol when I get done with this.

That still doesn't solve the section thing about the grids not showing in section and I would probably draw a very thin extrusion following the radius grid line and extrude it the whole way verticallly through the project so I could use it as a reference and then turn it off in sections and elevations.

Sounds like maybe a lot, but I did it in about 2 minutes and your getting to be an advanced user, if not one already so you should be able to do it in 1 minute, right :wink:

Y.

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-07, 03:13 PM
I'm going to have to re-read this a few times but I think I'm following you. Thanks for putting your "head" into this. I'll let you know how I make out. 1 min * 60 :D

Yman
2003-05-07, 03:13 PM
Here is a generic symbol I use for other things. Ignore the file name

Y.

Wesley
2003-05-07, 09:07 PM
Very clever...
I suppose you could then set the extrusion to another subcategory, and have it turned off by default in your view templates, bright pink (or something else hard to miss!) in a setup view.

I'll give this a try. Thanks,
Wes

Yman
2003-05-07, 09:51 PM
BINGO :!: That's what I do. I do this for roof boundaries, casework trim. It drives me crazy always adjusting the cut level in the view properties. You have to go through too many dialog boxes to change and then use linework and then change back. Then if you change something here you go again. And then once you get the linework done in plan of a roof boundary and you need to turn the roof off and then back on. Pooh, there go your linework lines. I got tired of that and use in-place families symbol lines that I can control at will instead of worrying about where the cut is. With worksets you get even more flexibilities.

Maybe we should request something that could make these adjustments (cut hts to display something) to use the linework tool.

Y.

Steve_Stafford
2003-05-09, 10:18 PM
Y,

I've followed the process you outlined to the letter up to the change to section and draw a symbolic line. When I get there the symbolic line option is grayed out. I'm using worksets and thought maybe I had something not checked out. But I believe I've got all editable. Did I get off track?

Without the symbolic line in section it is working in plan and I can get it to be on top using linework so that's success.

I already had a grid bubble symbol so I just used it, but I made it using a white filled region so it would cover the grid line I put it on top of just in case I need it along a view that cuts off the grid line unceremoniously, kind of like the breakline symbol in concept.

Any ideas on the symbolic line/section issue??