PDA

View Full Version : Storefront portion in wall

jecaper
2008-03-17, 01:18 PM
I have a pretty basic question. I have a section of a building that I want to make storefront. The sill is at slab and the head will be at 15'.

Is it better to split a wall (or create an opening in a wall) and make that portion storefront or create a window to go in.

I am guessing the splitting is easier.

Thanks

SCShell
2008-03-17, 01:46 PM
Hey there,
You could; however, the fastest way is to just draw you main wall, then draw your storefront wall with the required height right on top of the main hosting wall.
Then, ignore the warning that you have overlapping walls.
Then, click on the "cut geometry" button and click on both walls. That will clean it up and basically "insert" an opening for you.

If you choose to split the wall, don't forget to model the portion of hosting wall above the storefront wall (if you have a parapet or some wall type above the opening).

If the storefront system has a corner, I usually do split my walls so that they clean up better.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum!
Steve

pdickman
2008-03-17, 01:58 PM
You can also sketch the opening on the wall. This is a different than creating an opening.

-select the wall
-hit the edit profile button that appears on the bar above.
-sketch the opening you want with the tools on the left.
-click finish whan you are done.

This is one of my favorite tools in Revit. I also love the align option (key in: AL). Just experiment around with it. It is a very simple powerful tool.

jecaper
2008-03-17, 02:04 PM
Worked like a charm. Thanks for the info.

What is the best way to learn about dealing with mullions in windows and other parametric families? I want to set heights, attach to edges etc. I have subscribed to CadClips, but am always looking for help.

Thanks again.

pdickman
2008-03-17, 02:14 PM
That is a huge question. I do a lot of trial and error. I am sure someone else can recommend good tutorials. The best thing I learned about curtainwall and store front is that if you make a family type with no verticals and horizontals, you can place the mullions anywhere (my office never seems to do anything standard). Use the curtain grid and mullion tolls under the modelling sidebar.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-03-17, 04:02 PM
One thing that bears mentioning is that curtain walls can also create their own openings by making sure you check the type parameter to 'Automatically embed'.

As for tutorials, this is a handout and sample file I created a couple of years ago. I haven't updated it since but it still applies to most aspects of curtain walls and curtain systems.