PDA

View Full Version : Double brick = 2 single skins

nextvkin
2008-03-17, 09:44 PM
Hi all,
I've heard that some Revit users are doing double brick (cavity) walls using 2 skins of single brick walls - sounds logical cos that's the way ithey're built, but there must also be problems, like putting in doors & windows. Any ideas?
Kay

rjcrowther
2008-03-17, 10:41 PM
I think you would also need to model the cavity. I suspect you would then join geomtry and the window would punch through each 'layer'.

mbalsom
2008-03-17, 10:42 PM
If you draw two single brick walls with cavity then use join geometry windows and doors will cut as normal. The two walls can be different wall types. There is a limit to the size of the cavity.

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-18, 01:24 AM
Don't forget that even if you join both walls and the doors / windows cut both walls at the same time when inserting them, only the wall that's actually hosting the door / window will accommodate its frame and trim. If you want to have the door / window frame to wrap both walls, you will have to edit their family and add a parameter to it. ;)

Andre Carvalho

Andre Baros
2008-03-18, 01:53 AM
This is a useful method of working if your two walls are not always the same size, extents, height, etc. For example, if one often extends higher than the other over a different wall behind, or if one is structural and one is a rainscreen and the rainscreen varies but the structural wall does not. It is also useful for some interior finishes and for remodeling/restoration work where you may keep one layer and demolish or replace another. However, if they are always working together than there is not much benefit to drawing two walls.