PDA

View Full Version : Painting surfaces with reveals

jecaper
2008-03-18, 03:25 PM
I have a wall system which I have included. I want to be able to paint certain portions different colors. I have tried to split the surfaces and I have tried to just paint specific areas. I a having troubles with the error messages about closed loops and lines too small.

One instance is the large bands in the two end features. I want those red, but not the other reveal banding that intersects with it. I just get an all or nothing.

There has to be an easy way, but again, I am just getting started.

Nothing like jumping in with both feet huh?

Thanks in advance.

patricks
2008-03-18, 03:31 PM
Forgot your attachment?

jecaper
2008-03-18, 03:36 PM
Yea, I told you I was new to this.

dhurtubise
2008-03-18, 03:42 PM
Use a Curtain Wall for that kind of design

jecaper
2008-03-18, 03:46 PM
I was advised against that as it is not a curtain wall, but a tilt-wall system. I have been successful painting if I split the wall, but I really don't want to do that. I was hoping there was an easier way.

Thanks

dhurtubise
2008-03-18, 03:50 PM
Why were you advised not to use curtain wall? Painting the whole building will take you longer then doing it in AutoCAD.

jecaper
2008-03-18, 03:52 PM
I got it, I finally figured out the error message.

Thanks for the assistance.

jecaper
2008-03-18, 05:36 PM
Alright, I lied. I thought I had it, but it slipped away. I keep getting errors that contradict each other. One tells me that I can't pick an edge another tells me I have to. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zoltan
2008-03-18, 06:05 PM
This is interesting. When I create a Split Face Region on the front face of one of those walls, there are orange lines at all of the panels between the reveals - the edges of the faces. If I draw a single line to split one of these rectangles in half, then I can paint any one of the rectangle with the paint can. The Split face creates a visible line at the rectangle that I split, but I can remove with the Linework command.

patricks
2008-03-18, 06:13 PM
This is interesting. When I create a Split Face Region on the front face of one of those walls, there are orange lines at all of the panels between the reveals - the edges of the faces. If I draw a single line to split one of these rectangles in half, then I can paint any one of the rectangle with the paint can. The Split face creates a visible line at the rectangle that I split, but I can remove with the Linework command.

Yep, that's what I have dealt with in the past when doing concrete tilt-up walls with various painted areas.

As a workaround I usually just do a split line very near the edge of a reveal so it isn't even noticeable in the elevation. After adding that one split line, I can then paint different areas to my heart's desire.

Not sure why it acts that way, but that's the method I've used in the past.

The only problem is that sometimes certain areas "forget" what they were painted (seems to happen at random) and I will have to go back and paint a few areas again.

Zoltan
2008-03-18, 06:21 PM
The only problem is that sometimes certain areas "forget" what they were painted (seems to happen at random) and I will have to go back and paint a few areas again.

I have seen this in other situations where either the split face loses the paint, or it leaks onto an adjacent face. This is why I try to avoid the using the split face command if I can and instead use vertically compound walls, stacked walls, and embedded walls for material changes.

In your case, the paint bucket is probably going to be less tedious than building a bunch of vertically compound walls made of different concrete materials that have different colors.

Brandon_Pike
2010-02-18, 10:49 PM
It's a bug in the software. Try here:

http://bimtionary.blogspot.com/2010/02/split-face-with-wall-reveal.html