PDA

View Full Version : sweep along ellipse path error.

sbrown
2004-09-01, 08:31 PM
I am trying to make a elliptical bar, the profile has rounded edges and revit gives me an error that only straight lines can be used. I thought I read something about a way around this. Any ideas?

beegee
2004-09-01, 09:40 PM
David Conant wrote

It turns out that you can sweep a profile containing elliptical or spline segments along a path containing an arc, but it may fail if the arc approaches 360 degrees.

After investigating the problem with developers, it appears that failures only occur when you draw the profile at some distance toward the arc center from the profile attachment point. When you are drawing the profile, the attachment point is visible as a red dot at the intersection of 2 ref planes. If you shift the profile toward the center of the path arc, it is possible to get conditions where the sweep passes through itself as it goes around the arc. This causes the math to fail and you will get a message that the sweep cannot be completed. Otherwise, ellipses and splines around arcs and circles should work fine.

sbrown
2004-09-02, 12:54 PM
Yes an ellipse can sweep along a path, but a circle cant sweep on an elliptical path(which is my problem)

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-02, 02:15 PM
Yes an ellipse can sweep along a path, but a circle cant sweep on an elliptical path(which is my problem) What if you sweep a rectangle and then cut the corners off with a void or voids?

sbrown
2004-09-02, 02:19 PM
The void would have to have curves and follow the elliptical path. Here is what I'm making. It is a bar with a fish tank and the bar is elliptical in shape. I faked it here, but it would be much easier if I could sweep along an ellipse path.