PDA

View Full Version : General Curtain Wall Grid Problems

whatisrice
2008-03-19, 03:24 PM
You name the problem, I'm having it. Long-story short, I have a complex wall with lots of mullion paterns and brick patterns. I'm trying to set up panels as each pattern. I've done it before, with great success, but this is the most complicated wall I've done.

The guru's in my office don't understand why revit is behaving this way. Could it be that I am overloading the curtain wall system with too many complex grids and grid segments? Could the program be wigging out because of the complexity? Would it be best if I made some of the elements as families [such as the windows] so that I can reduce the need for so many complex grids?

Like most things, I think it is my approach that is wrong. Would using families in panels approach work better than creating every mullion and brick panel with a separate grid pattern?

Thanks

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-03-19, 04:15 PM
Without seeing an example of what you're up to it's tough to give a 'right' answer but it sounds like you might want to look a creating some custom curtain panels.
When you deal with complex curtain walls look for patterns and repetition. Think in terms of primary, secondary and tertiary grids. Revit can handle the regular patterns pretty well with a pre-defined vertical and horizontal grid. If it gets more complicated or is irregular... not so much. This is where creating curtain panels that replace actual mullions with simple extrusions works really well. It makes changes a lot easier as well.
Post an example and we'll see if more specific advice can follow.