PDA

View Full Version : Key Schedule "Key Name" Use

cek
2008-03-19, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to understand the relationship between the 'Key Name" in a Key Schedule and how that operates with a related "Building Components Schedule".

In creating the Key Schedule (related to rooms) the schedule defaults with a field called "Key Name" This field is visible in the "Element Properties" parameters for a room boundary and acts as a drop down list for selection of the appropriate value from the Key Schedule's "Key Name" column.

In creating the "Building Components Schedule" for a room schedule the "Key Name" is not available as a field. Other fields created within the Key Schedule are available to the Building Components Room Schedule though, and will appear as drop downs when set to a text value.

Now this may a function of how I currently have this set up but:

You must enter the Element Properties of the room boundary to select the "Key Name" value you want, to automatically drive the fields common to both your Key Schedule and your Building Components Schedule.

If you attempt to use the drop downs of a text parameter field in the Building Components Schedule that is common to both schedules their is no affect on the value in your Element Properties for the room boundary or other fields in the Building Components Schedule driven by the Key Scheduled values, like formulas.

Is it possible to drive the Key Schedule values from the Building Component Schedule. I thought by putting the "Key Name" field within the Building Component Schedule that I could achieve this but the "Key Name" field is not avialable. I wanted to have the drop down fields available in the "Buildin Component Schedule" for conveinence rather than having to open each room boundary and assign the "Key Name" there.

Can anyone clarify what I'm missing if anything? Thanks

dhurtubise
2008-03-19, 05:43 PM
If i understand correctly the answer is no. You can't change the Key Shcedule Value from within the element schedule it self.
If you need to change one value from the set predefine in your key schedule you need to create another key.
If you want to be able to change them individually, don;t use key schedule but instance parameter.
But if you don't assign a key schedule for a specific element you will still be able to pick from the predefine list in the Key schedule.

cek
2008-03-19, 07:17 PM
I didn't want to alter the Key Schedule with the Building Component Schedule, What I was looking to do was to include the Key Schedule's "Key Name" as a Parameter field in the Building Component Schedule. Then using the drop down list in the Key Name column select the appropriate value, which hopefully would assign to the relative Room Boundary Element and drive the other calculation functions in the Building Component Schedule.

dhurtubise
2008-03-19, 07:31 PM
What you are looking for to insert in your schedule is not named key name (thats the unique value associated to the list of parameter in the DB) but the parameter name. Go to the Key Shcedle Properties and you will see a value for Parameter Name, thats the value you want ton insert in your schedule along with the other ones.
That value will drive all the associated one according to your key schedule

cek
2008-03-19, 08:01 PM
Correct. I've done that and here's the problem I'm running into. I have a parameter named "Function" in the Key Schedule. This parameter is also in my Building Component Schedule.

In the Building Component Schedule the "Function" column cells have a drop down list that contains the corresponding values listed under the Key Schedule Function column. By selecting one of these values the remaining parameters in the Building Component Schedule that are also in the Key Schedule do not populate. Consequently formulas derived from these values will not calculate.

If I go into the Room Boundary Element's properties there is a field there that corresponds to the Key Name values with a drop down list of all of the available values under the Key Name column. By selecting a value from this list I can populate all the corresponding fields between the Building Component Schedule and the Key Schedule and the formulas work.

This process, however, requires me to open each Room Boundary Element and set this field accordingly. A cumbersome and time consuming operation. I was trying to get a field in the Building Component Schedule which would have the same drop down list as the Room Boundary Element (ie the Key Name) so I could set the parameter in the schedule more quickly.

dhurtubise
2008-03-19, 09:15 PM
Any chance you can post a sample?

SCShell
2008-03-20, 12:42 PM
Hey Carl,
You ask such simple questions....lol.

Maybe a new topic for our user group? Let's ask Jake!
Steve

dhurtubise
2008-03-20, 01:02 PM
Here's an example of using a valuefrom a Key Schedule into a Calculated Value. Hope that helps

cek
2008-04-09, 08:29 PM
Just a follow up on this post.

What I finally found out that I needed to do was to place the "Key Name" as a field in my
occupancy schedule.

Here's the error in my approach:
I had a second field in my key schedule called "Function" which contained all the various
space functions. I placed this same field in my occupancy schedule which activated the drop
down feature. I thought I could drive the remaining functions in my occupancy schedule by
selecting from the 'Function" drop down, the value I wanted. This doesn't work.

The Fix:
Was to (in the key schedule) place the "Function" values under the "Key Name" field. Then
add this field to my occupancy schedule and rename it to "Function" Then I could select from
the drop down menu under this field and the other fields would populate according to the key
schedules corresponding fields.

The Rub:
It appears that as long as you don't place the 'Key Name' in your related schedule you can use
the drop down values for all your various corresponding fields between the key schedule and
the schedule; however, once you place the "Key Name" into your schedule and select one of
the values in the drop down menu all of the corresponding field values for that row lock to the
corresponding row's field values in the key schedule.

The New Question:
Is it possible to assign more than one key schedule to a schedule? One which drives
corresponding fields from one key schedule and one which drives the drop down menus
for other fields in the schedule? Disregard this Question (Dimitri already answered this and the answer was yes as long as the field values are different)