PDA

View Full Version : Symbols in Face Based families?

mhaidar
2008-03-19, 06:24 PM
What i am currently using is a Wall hosted Elecrtic family for my electrical and data outlets.
i have an outlet family nested in the wall hosted family in addition to a Generic Annotation SYmbol family (for duplex, quad, data...)

i would like to move away from wall hosted families to Face based families. my struggle in this is how to deal with the symbology. if the family is wall based then the symbol is placed on the ref. level plane, but if it's face based where do you place the symbol family?

i created a reference plane with a length parameter from the bottom of the fixture and hosted the symbol family in it. is there a better way to do this?

i hope my description and the way i worded my question are clear

Thanks - Mo

rkitect
2008-03-19, 06:48 PM
You would have to place the symboll in the elevation view that you want the symbol to be viewed from. IE: If your front elevation in the face based family is the "plan" view of the family, then place the symbol in that view. Unfortunately, Annotation Symbols have to be placed on the reference level of the family because they can only be created on the plan view of the Annotation Symbol templates. :(

mhaidar
2008-03-21, 05:04 PM
Thanks Carl!

phyllisr
2019-05-06, 11:54 PM
So given what you said, have you figured out how to flex the location of the symbol so it can be used forward of the outlet? Assume I have stacked outlets, one at 18" AFF, one at 42" AFF and one at 60" AFF. I want the symbol "stacked" in plan, forward of the wall. I know how to move the symbol left or right of one another but that is not how I would prefer to do it.