PDA

View Full Version : Link w/ Relative Paths

Michael Coviello
2008-03-21, 06:58 PM
Hello,

I've been troubleshooting relative links in a project w/worksharing enabled. It seems although manage links says the link type is 'relative' it actually isn't because the full path was saved.

Has anyone found the same issue?
Is it possible to replace the saved path with ..\..\ ?

Here's a description of what i've found.

When you Link a file in Revit, notice the first folder you are in is the location where the central file is located

Revit understands where the Central File is located and will make the link Relative to this location
DO NOT navigate all the way back to \\server or drive letter (P:\)
and then drill down to your directory.

After you've linked the file, Verify that the Full Path name IS NOT in the saved path

Only the directory name should show.

If the FULL Path Shows you have not make the link truly relative although the Path Type indicates Relative

Martin Figlarz
2008-03-24, 01:10 PM
I am having a similar problem w/ linked files and the central file… we changed our file server this weekend and our files are F.U.B.A.R. anyone else have this issue… what is the easies and fastest way to fix files that are Central to recover all their links?

Michael Coviello
2008-03-24, 01:23 PM
I couldn't find a way other than 'reload from' on each link. there must be a better way, maybe with revit api or built into a service pack.

Please keep me posted if you find a better solution.

Tyveka
2008-03-25, 04:22 PM
There is no better way.
Good luck with your experience. We went through the same thing. Found out that our architectural set went out with no structural in it because we lost all the links, despite the fact that they were all relative.
Bad Revit. Very bad. In this case (and so far, only in this case) I wish Revit were more like AutoCAD, where the linking just works (like Xrefs).

rganter.97143
2010-01-15, 03:40 PM
It appears the misleading "relative path" behaviour still has not been fixed. If we have to change our server name or want to move old projects to our Archive folder, ALL projects will loose their links. Unacceptable. Also, of course, all central files will "think" they have become local files . . .

PS: Actually, upon further testing, it appears that the relative paths remain intact if the parent directory gets moved, but they break if you rename it. Have others noticed this?

twiceroadsfool
2010-01-15, 04:21 PM
The relative path issue works fine, AFAICT. I keep all of my Linked Models in one directory right next to each other, and i dont have issues with losing the Links.

Renaming a server, however... Is a big issue for Worksetted projects. They "know" where they are on the network, thats how they discern if you are making a local copy by copying it to a new location without detach from central. Anytime ANY of the directories change anywhere in the address of that file, its going to think its a local file. Youll have to open with DFC and save as a New central.

jcoe
2010-06-23, 12:41 PM
I just experienced the same thing. Last night I had to move another teams' project from one network drive to another, thinking that the relative pathing would work. Much to my dismay, I had to redo all the links.

The biggest problem with this feature not working is that when you do a reload from, it resets all the VG overrides of the linked Revit files. For some reason however, the DWG linked files have an option at the bottom of the link manager to maintain graphic overrides.

What I have found to work best is to keep the linked files in the same directory as the host Revit model. When you start placing links into sub-folders, this is where it tends to break; however in theory it should not.

hworrell
2011-12-09, 09:13 PM
Does anyone know if this has been 'fixed'?

Thanks,
Heather

Ning Zhou
2011-12-10, 01:07 AM
The biggest problem with this feature not working is that when you do a reload from, it resets all the VG overrides of the linked Revit files

are you sure this is the case for 2012? occasionally i'll do reload from just for selective workset(s) loading, seems VG overrides of the linked RVT is OK, i mean unchanged, am i missed something here?

Alex Page
2012-02-01, 01:10 AM
I think the problem only arises when using worksets (ie: Central Files).

Also, I wonder if linking a file in when you are in your local file makes this happen, but if you are in the Central file and linking the relative paths are correct....

Anyone have any ideas?

Alex Page
2012-02-01, 01:18 AM
scratch that idea...I have no idea why this happens!

kilborn580841
2012-07-30, 02:23 PM
It's a worksharing / central file issue, I thought I was original in coming up with a workaround, but found the below link. Once all the internal and consultant links are in the project, I can detach from central, get rid of worksharing, save, remove and relink the files and then make this the new central file - it won't add the paths if it was linkd prior to being a central.

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2010/06/preserving-links-when-archiving-a-project.html

humphrey.ben780631
2013-10-14, 10:32 PM
Try relinking with UNC file paths. It worked for me.

wmusser725464
2016-04-13, 06:29 PM
Hello,

I've been troubleshooting relative links in a project w/worksharing enabled. It seems although manage links says the link type is 'relative' it actually isn't because the full path was saved.

Has anyone found the same issue?
Is it possible to replace the saved path with ..\..\ ?

Here's a description of what i've found.

When you Link a file in Revit, notice the first folder you are in is the location where the central file is located

Revit understands where the Central File is located and will make the link Relative to this location
DO NOT navigate all the way back to \\server or drive letter (P:\)
and then drill down to your directory.

After you've linked the file, Verify that the Full Path name IS NOT in the saved path

Only the directory name should show.

If the FULL Path Shows you have not make the link truly relative although the Path Type indicates Relative

Ok so the problem isn't with your current working file it is with the attached or Linked file you need to open the linked file detach the link file save the linked file then save as the linked file check the make this a central box then close go to your file reload the link from its current location and tada the saved path should now change to its current location Enjoy I hope this helps.

I figured this out on my own it takes a little while sometimes but there is always a solution please message me if you have any further questions.