PDA

View Full Version : Images of Schematic Presentation Plans

k.armstrong
2004-09-02, 03:42 AM
I'm a current ADT user in Brisbane Australia and my reseller is half way to convincing me to crossover the firm from ADT to Revit. I've got the trial version and working through the tutorials.
I would love it if some of you "gurus" would be able to post some examples of different types of Revit output. We do a lot of small shopping centers and need to produce quite a few marketing drawings in the let-up stage. We also do luxury end single houses.

I haven't seen it yet but i have read that Revit produces excellent construction drawings and from the tutorials that seems to be the case.

How difficult is it to customise things like windows and doors, curtain walls.

Also one issue i have with ADT is displaying roofs where one roof is located above the other - say a mono pitch roof at right angles to another mono pitch roof with the pitching heights 1metre higher on the second - then the overhangs overlap - so on a roof plan you need to show what is hidden under the higher roof.

Also how does Revit handle using the same drawing for presentation type display (marketing plan i referred to earlier) and for a more "construction" style display

Appreciate the time in takes for anyone to answer

Ken

beegee
2004-09-02, 03:58 AM
Hi Ken,

Also one issue i have with ADT is displaying roofs where one roof is located above the other - say a mono pitch roof at right angles to another mono pitch roof with the pitching heights 1metre higher on the second - then the overhangs overlap - so on a roof plan you need to show what is hidden under the higher roof.KenThe attached image shows two overlapping roofs. It took about 1 minute to create. We can walk you through that if you want.

would love it if some of you "gurus" would be able to post some examples of different types of Revit output. We do a lot of small shopping centers and need to produce quite a few marketing drawings in the let-up stage. We also do luxury end single housesStart with our Gallery in the Revit Product Community. Then have a look through Autodesk's revit Gallery. I will post links to that later.

I haven't seen it yet but i have read that Revit produces excellent construction drawings and from the tutorials that seems to be the caseYes, it does. There are some examples in the our Architectural Practice & Construction Documentation forums I think. Also Autodesk Revit has some good examples. Again I will post links for you.

Also how does Revit handle using the same drawing for presentation type display (marketing plan i referred to earlier) and for a more "construction" style display
This is typically handled by duplicating a view and then using annotations and color fills and wall fills to achieve the presentation look you're after. Again we can walk you through that process when you're ready. Its very easy and quick and you are working off the same database, so everything updates of course.

beegee
2004-09-02, 06:11 AM
Bladams has posted a couple of sheets of CDs HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3151) .

And Martin P has some nice samples HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3165)

Both are residential.

And this is the link to the Autodesk Design Gallery (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=3782397)which you may have seen, but it does have some nice stuff too.

SCShell
2004-09-02, 03:10 PM
Hi Ken,

I have been using Revit for a year now. I can honestly say that this program has exceeded my wildest expectations. I wanted a program that was "intelligent" and understood what it was that I was drawing. I too do a lot of retail and office type projects. Revit can do anything I have asked of it, from presentations, CD's and marketing for both the client and myself. I recommend it highly!
In addition to the links posted, I would visit Revitcity.com and look at their gallery as well.

Good luck
Steve Shell
Architect

blads
2004-09-03, 04:30 AM
Ken,

I was one of the first in SA to jump on the ADT bandwagon (then v1.0), it was purely a stand-alone system, ie no fancy desktop enhancements and most times it frustrated the hell outa me but it was better than vanilla acad but only just...

So when Revit came along, whilst parts of me were saying what about ADT compatibility (or lack thereof) deep down I was screaming yippee!!!

Having the privaledge of being the first in SA to purchase/subscribe to Revit, I'm constantly waving the Revit flag...

I know I'm one of the dearest designers in the "southern" Adelaide area (I'm
also one of the few on cad) so I have no trouble in convincing clients that
I provide a better product in 3D that'll be ESD focused. Even to a point
where I'm now getting referrals from a local council because I provide
colour 3D Consent drawings. The colour 3D views are purely revit shaded
views not renderings I might add!

mlgatzke
2004-09-03, 02:06 PM
I would love it if some of you "gurus" would be able to post some examples of different types of Revit output.
Ken,

I wouldn't consider myself a "guru", but Abe and I had a discussion, in a previous thread, where we showed some of our drawings. I've re-attached my file here. Granted, they're residential examples, but you can get a feeling for what Revit construction documents can look like.

Dean Camlin
2004-09-03, 09:54 PM
Here's one of mine (also a non-guru), a pool house topped with a screened pavilion, part of a community club house.

k.armstrong
2004-09-06, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone - some impressive imagery. I'd still like to see some coloured floor plans in the schematic design stage of some commercial say - and maybe some info on the process of creating - revit sales rep visits this thursday - so far impressed and i think we will be switching unless there is a big hiccup in the way it works somewhere along the line.

sbrown
2004-09-07, 03:05 PM
Here is a technique I've been using lately with great results.
I export my plan to dwg, squiggle it.
I export my color fills to jpg, then photoshop them to look like marker
I merge everything back in revit
and get a nice hand rendered look.

sbrown
2004-09-07, 03:11 PM
Here is a colorfill just straight out of revit no funny business.

Roger Evans
2004-09-07, 04:08 PM
And here is another one Straight Revit with floor slabs coloured

PeterJ
2004-09-07, 04:47 PM
What are you printing those out on Roger? Or do you circulate everything electronically?

Roger Evans
2004-09-07, 05:13 PM
Presentation in full colour when the occasion demands
Otherwise I'll print out normally sometimes as grey scale

For discussion I'll email in colour ~normally screen capture jpeg ~ I get better client response that way

HP 1250C

k.armstrong
2004-09-07, 11:50 PM
Thanks Scott - thats what i was after - so now how difficult is the process in Revit to get the coloured fills in the rooms - do they "attach" and as such update with changes to the wall positions? Any problems with them in front/behind text like there used to be in autocad with draw order (especially in xrefs - do you remember)

thanks again for everyones constributions
Regards
Ken Armstorng

Chad Smith
2004-09-08, 12:14 AM
Hi Ken,

Colour fills are a piece of cake. And they do follow room boundaries, so if you move a wall or any other room bounding object the colour fills follow, it couldn't be easier. Fills are always behind all other objects (except floor objects), so all building detail is shown on top.

Here are a couple of my examples that use colour fills.
http://portfolio.chad.id.au/Default.aspx?tabid=30

beegee
2004-09-08, 12:16 AM
You can produce colour fills based on Rooms, departments , occupancy etc or on area.

This tutorial (http://revit.autodesk.com/pillar/custserv/web/service/support_4.0/faq_navigator/index.asp)will give you the background for area fills by Room .

You can also add fill colour manually and lock the outline to the walls, etc. so that it updates with changes to the model.

PeterJ
2004-09-08, 08:05 AM
~normally screen capture jpeg ~
Why do that and not simply use File>Export>Image?

Saves on the cleanup as you can define pixel size right there and then.

aaronrumple
2004-09-08, 01:02 PM
I prefer print to pdf over export jpeg. There is more control over quality and size. Images then open in photoshop and other software.

However, I've found that the Revit pdf driver doesn't make a pdf compatible with CorelDraw 12 <what I like to use for editing> Acrobat 6 does.