PDA

View Full Version : System Family: Basic Roofs

iankids
2008-03-22, 01:45 AM
Hi All,

Having a few moments spare over the Easter break, I decided to update all my basic roofs to more accurately reflect the typical roofs I encounter in my general work. Previously, I had just used the generic out of the box roofs & modified them to suit within each project.

Having done so (quite successfully I thought), I went to copy the newly created file into what I thought was the correct location & name only to find that nothing changed.

Does anyone know where the template file picks up the System Family: Basic Roof from?

Thanks in Advance

Ian

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-03-22, 03:40 AM
You will have to load your new roof types to your template file and then save the template with those types. Check under settings > options > file locations to determine where your default template is stored and open it.
You can add the roof types by using transfer project standards with both your template and roof files open.

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-22, 03:52 AM
Ian,

System families like walls, floors, roofs, are hard coded into Revit and you can't load it the same way you can load a door family or a window family.

However, you can create you roof types, editing existing ones, modifying its structure and saving as a new roof type. If you think the new types you are creating will be often used in your projects, you may want to consider creating a new template file. Template files will have information about pre-loaded system families as walls, roofs, floors and regular families like components, windows doors, railings, and even levels, annotations, etc...
If you haven't spent time to create a template file that best suits the kind of work you do, maybe it is time to create one. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

If you don't want to do that right now, you can always create your walls, floors and roofs in one Revit file and keep it as reference when creating your projects. You can then open the reference file, select the roof you want, copy it and paste into your project. The new roof will be loaded into your project and be available on the list. The same rule may be applied to to walls and floors.

Best regards,

Andre Carvalho

iankids
2008-03-22, 06:52 AM
Thank you Dimitri & Andre,

I will load the family as a group and delete the ones I don't use.

Hope you are both well,

Cheers,

Ian