PDA

View Full Version : Slow regeneration time with light fixtures

SCShell
2008-03-27, 02:12 PM
Hi there,
I have a project which has been "in progress" since version 4.5 or maybe 5.
I have upgraded it with every new release.
Now, in RAC2008, I have been working on the final CD's and have been experiencing some really slow regeneration times when working on the RCP....in particular, when modifying, placing, moving, aligning or demolishing light fixtures, any fixture. It can take up to 15 seconds each time I do anything to a light. (File size is only around 35 MB and the building is about 10,000 SF.)
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-27, 02:20 PM
And you haven't noticed anything like that on the previous version? If the answer is no, have you changed the fixtures or considerably added new families to the file while in the Revit 2008?

As I understood, the problem only occours with fixtures, isn't it?

Andre Carvalho

dhurtubise
2008-03-27, 03:04 PM
Are those elements part of an array?

SCShell
2008-03-27, 03:10 PM
Hey there,

Thanks for the help, but they are not part of an array, nor any new new families, nor have I ever seen this performance hit in any version.

I may send it to the factory.

Thanks again!
Steve

cek
2008-03-27, 05:28 PM
Steve,

Maybe the problem lies in the translation of the light through multiple versions of Revit. Have you tried bringing in a new light type (version RAC2008 ) and manipulating it to see if you still have the same problems?

Carl

SCShell
2008-03-28, 12:35 PM
Hey Carl,
Yes I did. Very strange.
I even have tried it on my other machine which I don't use a whole lot.....after I add about 40 lights....everything comes to a crawl with regard to any light fixture.
Strange that nothing else is slow. I can zoom, pan, move and add any other component without any slow down.
Maybe it's time to come up with a "light" 3d troffer light for working drawings mode and just use the real ones for areas which will get rendered or shown in 3d/camera views.

Thanks
Steve

dhurtubise
2008-03-28, 02:19 PM
Did you look at the familiy's geometry? Can you post it here?

SCShell
2008-03-31, 02:47 PM
Hi,
It is the ootb 2 x 4 parabolic light
Thanks
Steve

cliff collins
2008-03-31, 04:16 PM
Try grouping the lights.......
Or--making a family or .rvt file outside project and loading/linking into main project?

cheers..........

SCShell
2008-04-01, 01:40 PM
Hey there,
Here is the response from the Factory:

"The reason that you are have some slow down when you move a light fixture. Is Revit is recalculating the light info for that fixture and the views that it effects. Also there 300 light in you model if they are all select during the render process this extend you render time. I hope this information was helpful."

I have decided that it is time to make a "Light 3D Light"......lol....but seriously, I can't believe the performance hit with only around 50 or 60 lights in a simple RCP.

Thank you everyone here too.
Steve

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-01, 02:18 PM
Hey there,
Here is the response from the Factory:

"The reason that you are have some slow down when you move a light fixture. Is Revit is recalculating the light info for that fixture and the views that it effects. Also there 300 light in you model if they are all select during the render process this extend you render time. I hope this information was helpful."

I have decided that it is time to make a "Light 3D Light"......lol....but seriously, I can't believe the performance hit with only around 50 or 60 lights in a simple RCP.

Thank you everyone here too.
Steve

You know Steven, when I was writing my post on this thread the other day, I though about suggesting you to try getting rid of the "light" information within the family if you weren't using it to generate a 3D rendering... But then I thought you would say that I was crazy. :p
Also, I wasn't (and still I am) not sure if we can edit a light fixture and get rid of the light information...

If the problem really exist because the light info, then we should have some sort of switch on the family to turn the information calculation on and off if we aren't using it.

Regards,

Andre Carvalho

SCShell
2008-04-02, 01:22 PM
Hey there,
Agreed Andre. That is why I will be adding a couple of new light fixture families to my template which has no light info and is strictly a ceiling (or face) hosted family which looks good in "non-rendered" views. (I can always replace them in areas which may get rendered.)

Thanks
Steve

wblaney
2008-05-02, 03:42 PM
Anybody explored this using RMEP 2009? I've only used Architecture and MEP 2009 on a couple REALLy small tenant spaces, so I doubt I've hit a performance threshold yet (thoughI did notice a marked slowdown in panning in the MEP file, but not the Arch. file)

I'll post back if I run into a larger problem - could be a big deal as we roll the workflow into larger jobs.

tamas
2008-05-03, 01:20 AM
Hi there,
I have a project which has been "in progress" since version 4.5 or maybe 5.
I have upgraded it with every new release.
Now, in RAC2008, I have been working on the final CD's and have been experiencing some really slow regeneration times when working on the RCP....in particular, when modifying, placing, moving, aligning or demolishing light fixtures, any fixture. It can take up to 15 seconds each time I do anything to a light. (File size is only around 35 MB and the building is about 10,000 SF.)
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve,

Did you try your file in RAC2009? I have a feeling your case may be just the one we tried to improve.

Tamas

SCShell
2008-05-09, 12:49 PM
Steve,

Did you try your file in RAC2009? I have a feeling your case may be just the one we tried to improve.

Tamas
Hey there,
No I have not. Unfortunately, I am finishing most of my projects right now and this is not a good time for me to upgrade. As soon as I do however, this will be the first one to get upgraded so that I can move on to my Construction Administration phase. (I always keep my original CD phase drawings alone and make a copy for CA.)

Thanks and looking forward to using RAC2009!!!!
Steve

markusb
2010-03-23, 04:54 PM
We are having the same issue. I have simplified the light fixtures to only show symbolic lines in the RCP and have taken out the light definition, yet it it still takes 5-10 seconds to move a light fixture. This is the only thing that really bogs down, moving walls, doors, and other non ceiling hosted families is quick and normal.

Any ideas?

Revit 2010
Windows XP
4 GB RAM
80 MB project

We will be upgrading, but it is still a few months out.

cliff collins
2010-03-23, 07:45 PM
Try replacing a few ceiling-hosted lights with face-based/non-hosted fixtures
and see if they move more quickly/instantly.

cheers......

tamas
2010-03-23, 07:49 PM
Please contact Revit support with your model. I'd like to see what is going on there.

Tamas

We are having the same issue. I have simplified the light fixtures to only show symbolic lines in the RCP and have taken out the light definition, yet it it still takes 5-10 seconds to move a light fixture. This is the only thing that really bogs down, moving walls, doors, and other non ceiling hosted families is quick and normal.

Any ideas?

Revit 2010
Windows XP
4 GB RAM
80 MB project

We will be upgrading, but it is still a few months out.

markusb
2010-03-23, 08:23 PM
Try replacing a few ceiling-hosted lights with face-based/non-hosted fixtures
and see if they move more quickly/instantly.

cheers......
cliff, yea a ceiling hosted family does regenerate faster than a ceiling hosted light fixture, so i made the light fixture so it would not cut the ceiling and it does move a little bit faster but not as fast as it it did when it was a ceiling hosted family. However this family needs to be categorized as a light fixture.

SCShell
2010-03-29, 01:25 PM
Hey there,
Both sorry and glad to see this thread brought back to life. I still have this problem.......
even after sending to the factory.
Steve

tamas
2010-03-29, 01:53 PM
Steve, we did make some ceiling inserts faster a while ago which may have been the result of your files. I am sorry that it is still not as fast as expected. Send me a private message and hopefully I can take a look at the current issues faster that way.

Tamas

Hey there,
Both sorry and glad to see this thread brought back to life. I still have this problem.......
even after sending to the factory.
Steve