PDA

View Full Version : Edit profile of curved wall

max
2008-03-27, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if the ability to edit the profile of a curved wall will be included in RAC 2009?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-03-28, 06:29 AM
Not from what I've seen. You would essentially need to create a curved drawing plane which I don't see as too likely in the near future.
Depending on your needs... for a constant slope you can use a ref plane drawn in an elevation view and attach the top of the wall to it.
For an irregular shape you can use an in-place void family and cut the wall.

jeffh
2008-03-28, 01:49 PM
The ability to edit the profile of a wall curved in plan will not be a feature of Revit 2009. You can always use an in place void to cut the wall.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3822646&linkID=9243099

max
2008-03-29, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will have to try it.

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-29, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will have to try it.

With the new features of Revit 2009, including the new Sweep Blend you can use the same idea that the link Jeff posted above explains. And be able to go further...

I'm beta testing Revit 2009 and I created a crazy example to show you what I'm talking about.

See attached. (I'm not sure the dwf file will work since it was generated on the new version)

Andre Carvalho

zanzibarbob7
2008-03-29, 10:27 PM
Andre...Max

That is a crazy looking wall. I don't have 2009 yet but I always did as Jeff suggested. Cut with voids. Until they come up with something else it's what I will continue to use.

max
2008-04-02, 06:30 PM
I have tried the inplace void but I keep getting the message area that the void is not cutting anything. As far as I can tell, It should be cutting the wall.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Max

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-02, 06:37 PM
I have tried the inplace void but I keep getting the message area that the void is not cutting anything. As far as I can tell, It should be cutting the wall.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Max

When you create an in place void family, be sure that the void is cutting the wall (or the object), using the "Cut Geometry" button before exiting the family creation.

Andre Carvalho

max
2008-04-02, 06:39 PM
I have attached a picture of what I am trying to do. I want to make cut outs in the curved wall similar to the ones you see in the straight wall.

Thanks

max
2008-04-02, 06:41 PM
Thanks Andre. Iam doing that but it is still giving me that error message.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-02, 07:00 PM
I have attached a picture of what I am trying to do. I want to make cut outs in the curved wall similar to the ones you see in the straight wall.

Thanks

When your void geometry is created, but it is not intersecting with the element being cut, even if you use the Cut Geometry it will work (although nothing will be cut because it's not intersecting any object). However, if you try to leave the family editor, it will say that the instance of in-place family is not cutting the host.

If you create the same void geometry and don't use the Cut Geometry, then when you leave the family it will say that the void is not cutting anything.

I'm not questioning if you did it or not, since you said you did. I'm just trying to figure out why is it saying that it is not cutting anything if you did cut...

When you do the cut, can you see the geometry being cut? I mean, does the message pops up when you try to cut or when you try to leave the family?

Andre Carvalho

max
2008-04-02, 09:02 PM
I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. It pops up when I try to leave the family editor.

thanks for your patience.

Max

max
2008-04-02, 09:26 PM
When your void geometry is created, but it is not intersecting with the element being cut, even if you use the Cut Geometry it will work (although nothing will be cut because it's not intersecting any object). However, if you try to leave the family editor, it will say that the instance of in-place family is not cutting the host.

If you create the same void geometry and don't use the Cut Geometry, then when you leave the family it will say that the void is not cutting anything.

I'm not questioning if you did it or not, since you said you did. I'm just trying to figure out why is it saying that it is not cutting anything if you did cut...

When you do the cut, can you see the geometry being cut? I mean, does the message pops up when you try to cut or when you try to leave the family?

Andre Carvalho

Andre

I went to a 3d view and kept zooming out until I found my Void shape. It was over 60' from my wall. How do I get it in the correct location? I drew the sketch on the elevation of the wall, so I thought it was in the correct location.

Thanks

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-02, 11:00 PM
Andre

I went to a 3d view and kept zooming out until I found my Void shape. It was over 60' from my wall. How do I get it in the correct location? I drew the sketch on the elevation of the wall, so I thought it was in the correct location.

Thanks

Max,

Before creating your void geometry, you have set a work plane to it. You can do that in elevation or on a 3D view. Sometimes the 3D view is easier to select the face you want. Once selected, you can switch to your elevation view and draw your void geometry. Again, turning back to the 3D view to see if the void is intersecting with our wall before try cutting it is a good idea.

Andre Carvalho

max
2008-04-03, 03:39 AM
Thanks Andre

max
2008-04-03, 07:18 PM
Still can't get void to cut wall. Attached is a file showing the curved wall and the sample elevation I would like. Could someone do a void to cut the wall so I can look at how it is done?

Thanks

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-04, 01:46 AM
Still can't get void to cut wall. Attached is a file showing the curved wall and the sample elevation I would like. Could someone do a void to cut the wall so I can look at how it is done?

Thanks

Max,

Look at the example. select and edit the void to see what I've done.

Andre Carvalho

max
2008-04-07, 01:23 PM
Thanks Andre! I finally got it.

Max

cleto2free754255
2011-04-05, 02:23 AM
please can i get a step by step method of editing a circular or curved wall....explanations needed ASAP

Dimitri Harvalias
2011-04-05, 03:30 AM
You can't edit the profile. You need to create a void family to 'cut' the wall.See the attached images.

zanzibarbob7
2011-05-23, 07:43 PM
Dimitri, Your explanation is the most elegant and for those make compound curved walls, such as an S Curve, you will need to reaply the Cut for each section of wall, but you can use the same void.

james.a.e
2011-07-26, 10:25 PM
A massive thanks for that elegant and detailed explanation Dimitri- you saved me from a lot of frustration

cliff collins
2011-07-27, 01:41 PM
Another way would be to use a Conceptual Mass, build the curved face and the "profile edit" by placing reference points along the edge.

Load the Mass into your project and convert the face to a Wall.

cheers