PDA

View Full Version : Detail Library development

m.augi
2008-03-28, 01:46 PM
We have some partition details that I would like to create and insert only the ones that are needed in the project. Can someone give me a quick overview as how to accomplish this task.
BAsically create a detail and insert the ones that are used in a drafting view to generate our A601 partition sheet.

thanks

arqt49
2008-03-28, 02:12 PM
Try using legend components of the walls in use in a legend.
You can tag the materials as in autocad.
Unfortunately, as it is a legend, you cannot tag the wall type mark automatically.

jcoe
2008-03-29, 01:13 AM
If you are strictly looking to use these as details, I would recommend this:

Start a blank project using your office template. Start a drafting view and create one of the wall details. Go to File>Save to library>Save views (I think this is the right one). Select the drafting view you just created and navigate to where you want to save the file. Once the file is saved, open the file. In the file, you can create more drafting views - one for each wall deail. When done, save the file.

When it is time to use the details for a project, go to File>Insert from file>views. Navigate to the detail file and select it. In the dialog box that appears, check the box next to the detail you wish to load and select OK. This will load the detail views you have selected. Now all you need to do is place them onto our A601 sheet.

There are some other added benefits to creating your detail library this way, one of which is that in you detail file, you can pre-name the views so they remain consistent between all projects. This name can then be used for your Detail Title on your sheet views.

(attached image)

m.augi
2008-03-29, 02:57 AM
jcoe:
Thanks for your suggestion and image example. If I follow your directions, that would mean that I will have to have 20-40 Drafting views , one for each Partition used in the project. So the process is,
1. Import the drafting view,
2. Place drafting view on A601 Sheet.

The other way I was thinking of doing was to create a Detail component of each detail.
then create a drafting view with teh linework layout and place each partition type detail in there, I would have already have that drafting view placed on the Sheet.

We Keynote each detail, the keynote numbers will change as the keynote.txt file is diferent for each project . i.e 09200-A001 may be Gyp in one project, then something else in another project. So would detail component way be a problem> since you cannot explode the detail component.

The way you mentioned would be nice for keynoting , you can easily COndoc it.

jcoe
2008-03-30, 02:22 AM
I think what you are proposing could also work. The only thing I see that might cause some headaches here is that the detail component is a family. When it comes time to edit the graphics of the detail component to match the keynote, you need to edit the family. This is probably fine in most cases; however, if users have limited to no write permissions to the drive where these details are kept, this could be troublesome. Frankly, you probably do not want just anyone in there modifying the content library anyway.

Another thing you might try is this:

Follow the previous steps, except instead of creating individual drafting views for each detail, create all details in one single drafting view, including your grid layout. Then create a group out of everthing. Then go to File>Save to Library>Save group. Now, when you need to load the details into a project you go to File>Load from library>Load file as group. Place the group into a drafting view and then place the view onto a sheet. If a user needs to change the graphics to accommodate the keynoting, they can do so by editing the group in their project instead of individual families.

I hope that made some sense.

winnwgomez
2008-03-30, 06:27 AM
Hi

Can we keynote details in detail views? i tried to , but not possible?

m.augi, you can also place all the detail views into a sheet , just as you would want it printed. In a new project, click insert from file> views and select the project ( in which you have all the details placed on the sheet) . Then select the sheet and hit ok. You have the sheet into the project, and all the drafting views too. this saves time spent on importing each detail and arranging them on a sheet. Hope this helps a bit too.

winn