PDA

View Full Version : Extending a wall layer downward (compound walls)

adegnan
2004-09-02, 07:01 PM
I can't get this to work. I'd like to extend my brick layer of my veneer stud wall 8" below the bottom of the wall, by detaching the layer in the vertical compound wall and extending it lower. Is this possible?

Or do I need to add a sweep to the bottom of the wall?

Or am I better off to add the brick sweep to my foundation wall and then align the hatch pattern with my veneer stud wall?

TIA!

aaronrumple
2004-09-02, 07:08 PM
I posted just such an example yesterday during some discussion about worksets....

adegnan
2004-09-02, 07:14 PM
Hi Aaron.

Thanks, i just found that thread now. I can't modify the workset in the file, though, when I saved it to my computer, to try and figure out how to do this. Can you enlighten me?

adegnan
2004-09-02, 07:26 PM
Ah. I think I get it. You drew the brick as a vertical component within your foundation wall and were able to turn it off.

I am looking to do something slightly different, I was thinking of extending my brick downward from the veneer stud wall.

I got it to work by adding sweeps but it would be nice to be able to extend that layer downward, like in a section where we can manipulate the layers (view specific).

FK
2004-09-02, 07:33 PM
Abe:

If I understand your question correctly, here's what you do.

1. Edit the wall type, edit wall structure.
2. Open up preview flyout, select Section.
3. Now you have vertical structure buttons enabled. Select Modify.
4. Select the bottom of the layer you wish to extend.
5. Unlock.
6. OK out of all dialogs.
7. Look at the wall from the side, from below or in a section. The bottom of the wall now consists of two faces, each an independent shape handle.
8. Drag the layer by the handle.
9. Done.

This unlocks, but does not move, the bottom of the layer in all walls of this type. You may create a separate type if you prefer.

J. Grouchy
2004-09-02, 07:33 PM
Video tutorial (http://www.avatechsolutions.com/training/elearning/media/techtips/index.asp?mid='171') explaining how to do what you are trying.

Basically, in the wall editor you have to "unlock" a layer of the wall (e.g. brick layer) so that in your section you can use the align tool to extend that layer up or down independently of the rest of the wall.

Merlin
2004-09-02, 10:35 PM
woo-hoo!....I finally might be able to contribute some advice!!!!!

yes......I found that you have to unlock it (don't forget to unlock the Air Cavity too), then under properties make sure the "Base Constraint" is set to the level you're on while you give a negative distance in the "Bottom Extension Distance"....eg if your bricks are 150mm below the level of the stud frame, you enter "-150" in Bottom Extension Distance"

....and THIS is one of the simple things REVIT has over ArchiCAD!!!!...hah!

cheers,
John Mc

adegnan
2004-09-03, 01:31 AM
AHA! We have answers. I was trying to do all of it in the section preview dialog, I was trying to unlock the layer and extend the layer downward by a fixed dimension... but now I know!

PS< FK, your instructions were much clearer than the help files! And I couldn't find a thing about it in the Autodesk Knowledge Base either.

Thx.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-09-03, 02:32 AM
FYI, you can also select the "unlocked" layers' edge and drag it down in section view!

ajayholland
2004-09-08, 05:37 PM
I used this feature in a current project. Subsequently, when I needed to edit a wall profile, I discovered some interesting interactions, as depicted in the attached image.

~AJH