PDA

View Full Version : Locating Revit links for consultant files

patricks
2008-03-31, 04:41 PM
When linking in a Revit Structure or MEP file, does everyone locate by origin-to-origin when linking the file? I'm just wondering, because I linked in an MEP file and it came in offset when located by center, but came in correctly when located by origin.

The mechanical engineer said he did not move anything when he originally linked our file in, but linked ours in by origin, which is why I guess I have to link his in by origin.

So is Origin-to-Origin the "correct" way of linking in these files? If so, why isn't that the default value instead of center-to-center?

Andre Carvalho
2008-03-31, 05:00 PM
Patrick,

I think you should always link it Origin to Origin. When you link Center to center, Revit will put the center of mass of your file being linked with the center of mass of the file hosting it. That's probably not what you want. That's why wneh you link Origin to origin, Revit automatically add a pin to the linked file, so you ca'n't move it and the reference will always be kept.

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-03-31, 05:14 PM
I see, yeah that's what I figured about Center vs. Origin. It seems like it would be more logical to make the Origin be the default placement method when linking in files.

However, I just linked in an MEP file by Origin, and I did not get a pin on the linked file. I was able to add a pin after the fact, but it wasn't pinned automatically.