PDA

View Full Version : Copying note blocks

sblackburn
2008-03-31, 05:59 PM
I did a search but couldn't find the answer to this - is it possible to copy (duplicate) a note block to create a new one that I could then use a different keynote with? I am doing a project that contains minor renovation plans for several different schools. We have decided that we want to have all the schools in one project. I am using keynote-note blocks to note the work in each plan. I would like to be able to keynote each plan separately instead of having one keynote list for all the schools combined. So I need to make different note block for each school (17 schools). It is very tedious to go thru the setup every time for each note block. Is there a way to duplicate the first one that I've formatted correctly and then substitute a different keynote? Thanks for any help.

Steve Blackburn
MPA Architects, Inc.

mabrey
2008-03-31, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately...no. What we tend to do is make new family types for the keynote and add a parameter that we can filter our note blocks by. This way we can simply duplicate the note block with all of the formatting in-tact and simply change the filter to only include those on our sheet.

-Jon

sblackburn
2008-03-31, 07:39 PM
Good suggestion - I will try that. If I understand your explanation I will have one keynote family with an additional parameter for the different schools. Then I will filter each note block to include that sheet's notes only. The only drawback I see to this, unless I'm missing something, is that I will still have a master list. One sheet might have notes 1 thru 4 and the next 5 thru 10, for instance. Ideally I would like to have 1 thru . . . . on every sheet. Is this possible with your work around?

mabrey
2008-03-31, 08:26 PM
Yes, you can number 1 through X on each sheet. Since we are just using generic annotations that have no intelligent behavior (auto numbering to be exact), you can change the number of a keynote to anything you want. In my project, I have 35 or so keynote number 1's (one for each sheet) each with a different note associated. The key factor, is the parameter that sorts them however you need.

All of the note blocks will technically be one noteblock copied many times and filtered differently. I would have a master note block with "itemize every instance" checked and sorted by your filter parameter, then by keynote number, so you can see all keynotes throughout the project on a group by group basis. Each sheet or group noteblock will be a copy of this master, with the filter parameter set to 'does not contain' "sheet name" or whatever you pick for filtering.

-Jon

sblackburn
2008-04-01, 01:04 PM
Thanks - I finally get it. I put it all together that way - great work around!

Steve Blackburn

sblackburn
2008-04-07, 07:35 PM
Another question that I hope goes with this thread. I've figured out with Jon's help how to create a keynote with parameters (in this case "School Name") that can be filtered in my different note blocks. So I have multiple school plans in one file with a different note schedule tied to that school. Now I am wondering - is this possible to do with the room finish schedule, also? Instead of having one master room finish schedule I would like to have one for each individual school. I have tried adding parameters to a custom room tag that could then be filtered in the room schedule, but it doesn't seem to work the same way. Do I need to use shared parameters for this? If so, can someone share how to get started with that? I've added shared parameters to a title block, but I'm not sure how do make this work. Thanks for any help.

Steve Blackburn

amorie
2008-04-08, 04:46 AM
With respect to your initial question, we use a slightly different approach. Instead of creating a master noteblock, and using filters, we create separate noteblock schedules. We have created a generic symbol that displays the keynote number, and associated that symbol to a noteblock. The symbol's family name is the view it is created for and inserted into, i.e. "Floor Plan Notes", or "Demo Plan Notes". To create a new symbol and schedule, select one of your generic annotation symbols, edit the annotation symbol family, then "save as" to a new family name. Insert the new symbol family into your current project. Then, in your project, create a new noteblock. As part of that process, select the new symbol to be associated with the noteblock, and name the noteblock to match the symbol name. Add "Tag" and "Text" fields to the schedule. Now you have a noteblock that can be placed on as many sheets as needed for that type of view, and is associated with a specific symbol. Every time the specific annotation symbol is added to a view, a new line is created in the associated noteblock. If you do not itemize every instance, then your display will only show each separate tag number and text note one time.

Using this technique, you can create a symbol for each of your schools, and have a simple noteblock to be placed on the sheet(s) associated with that symbol.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-08, 05:29 AM
Another question that I hope goes with this thread. I've figured out with Jon's help how to create a keynote with parameters (in this case "School Name") that can be filtered in my different note blocks. So I have multiple school plans in one file with a different note schedule tied to that school. Now I am wondering - is this possible to do with the room finish schedule, also? Instead of having one master room finish schedule I would like to have one for each individual school. I have tried adding parameters to a custom room tag that could then be filtered in the room schedule, but it doesn't seem to work the same way. Do I need to use shared parameters for this? If so, can someone share how to get started with that? I've added shared parameters to a title block, but I'm not sure how do make this work. Thanks for any help.

Steve Blackburn

You'll have to add a project parameter associated with rooms. Let's say it's called "School". Then in each room that pertains to school A, you type "A" for example. You do the same for B, C, etc. Now when creating room schedules, filter for this parameter for the value "A", etc. and you'll have room schedules that only list those rooms that exist in each respective school. Note that this is a manual process and that if you inadvertently type the wrong value, your schedules could potentially be incorrect. It would help to have some filters enabled in your plan view to make sure that if any room has the wrong designator, that you can visually spot the error quickly and easily. One technique I like to use is to have a plan view with the room's interior fill visible and then have the filter remove visibility of all rooms that don't meet the filter's criteria (EX: "School" does not equal "A"). This way, if a space is supposed to be assigned to "A" but is assigned to something else, it will not be visible and you'll know there's an error.

sblackburn
2008-04-08, 01:07 PM
Dave:

Thanks for the reply. Do I add this "room" parameter to the room tag? I added a project parameter called "Schools", and added this parameter to my room tag. However, when I build my room schedule I am unable to filter by this parameter. The parameter is there, but the filter box is empty. What am I missing?

Steve Blackburn

dbaldacchino
2008-04-08, 01:24 PM
No, you need to add it to Rooms. In Revit, you add parameters to objects...that's how you'll be able to filter an object schedule. Tags just report object properties so you won't achieve anything by adding it to the tag.

sblackburn
2008-04-08, 02:07 PM
Thanks! That was the solution. I'm obviously still learning about the proper use of parameters. I guess I'm still not sure when you add them to an object (like a room in this case) versus a tag. If you look at this thread, for instance, I added the parameter to the keynote to filter the differerent note blocks. Then the schedules picked up that parameter. Not sure why it's different for the room schedule.

mabrey
2008-04-08, 09:44 PM
It all depends on what you're scheduling. For the note block, you were scheduling a generic annotation symbol, so you add the parameter to the family iself. Your room schedule however, is a schedule of the room element in revit and not the room tags, so the parameter has to be assigned to the rooms. The room tags simply read information off the rooms and are not used for schedules. Also, rooms are system families that reside in the project, which is why you have to create a project parameter for them.

-Jon