PDA

View Full Version : Site workflow

sawyerfischer
2008-03-31, 11:18 PM
Ok I am a nube when it comes to Revit. I am jumping right into a project and its pretty complicated and it has many features that are not covered in the books I have. Now I have a pretty big site and I am not a civil eng. so I am pretty slow when it comes to site work. So I drew the contours in cad and brought it into revit basically I had a jpeg with the site info and I traced that. Now I have a modified site plan that includes cuts and fills also all based on a jpg file. How should I handle this in revit? How do I trace over a jpg?

Thanks

jtobin.68416
2008-04-01, 12:03 AM
I think you have a choice of two options.

You could import the jpeg, scale it up, and then trace lines in Revit.

However, given that you've already traced the first site in CAD, you could also do the new tracing in CAD and bring it back into Revit as CAD lines.

I think I'd opt for the second.

John Tobin

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-01, 01:02 AM
Ok I am a nube when it comes to Revit. I am jumping right into a project and its pretty complicated and it has many features that are not covered in the books I have. Now I have a pretty big site and I am not a civil eng. so I am pretty slow when it comes to site work. So I drew the contours in cad and brought it into revit basically I had a jpeg with the site info and I traced that. Now I have a modified site plan that includes cuts and fills also all based on a jpg file. How should I handle this in revit? How do I trace over a jpg?

Thanks

If you do your contours with the proper height in CAD, then you can import it into Revit and use the / Toposurface / Use imported / Import Instance / and just click on your imported DWG. Revit will recognize the contours heights and add points to it to generate the 3D toposurface.

Andre Carvalho

sawyerfischer
2008-04-01, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I have been able to create topolines in revit no problem. The problem is they were for the existing site not the cut and fill. My workflow in cad is to change the jpg and then my underlayment file path stays the same but the contours have changed. I can then trace over the new contours fine. But in Revit I am having trouble with jpg transparency. I can make it a "background" object or a "foreground" obj but I still have the trouble of not being able to make it work with the existing site. (bg object is covered up by site obj, fg object covers up site).

Basically what I need to know is the workflow for revising sites. I kind of have the idea for creating a site from topo lines but this site will change many times, roads will move, footprint may shift etc. And I have a feeling a lot of the changes will be done on paper and scanned as a jpg not done by a civil eng.

Thanks

kingjosiah
2008-04-19, 07:52 AM
I can make it a "background" object or a "foreground" obj but I still have the trouble of not being able to make it work with the existing site. (bg object is covered up by site obj, fg object covers up site).

With your .jpg as a 'background' either switch to wireframe view or change the visibility of the topography to be transparent.