PDA

View Full Version : Casework is cuttable only from side?

JohnCAVogt
2008-04-01, 08:11 PM
Can I ask others with more experience to verify for me that I am not looking at something wrong? I understand the concept of cuttability, and the reasons for it. But the help says that casework is cuttable, and it seems to be, in section, where I don't want it, so I have to use masking regions to cover it up. But it won't cut in plan or reflected ceiling? That's where I need cuttability, to show the difference between looking up and looking down. The attached shows how it looks in the family editor, and how I want it to look in the project, but all I see in the project is the top and the bottom of the entire family.

Steve_Stafford
2008-04-01, 08:43 PM
Hi John,

A little known aspect of plan views is that short walls that are less than 6 ft. don't "cut" unless their top constraint is the level above with a negative Top Offset to bring it back down. The casework follows this "logic" so the stuff below the cut plane won't show as cut with a heavier line, even if you lower the cut plane, which I think is okay based on your images. The tall cabinet should show a heavier outline as it looks like it is tall enough. Is the issue the display of the shelf above in plan and the counter below in an RCP? You'll need to use Symbolic Lines to get that display to work. Can you send me the cabinet file? I'm in the Houston office this week...call me at Tim's extension if you like.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-01, 08:45 PM
Can I ask others with more experience to verify for me that I am not looking at something wrong? I understand the concept of cuttability, and the reasons for it. But the help says that casework is cuttable, and it seems to be, in section, where I don't want it, so I have to use masking regions to cover it up. But it won't cut in plan or reflected ceiling? That's where I need cuttability, to show the difference between looking up and looking down. The attached shows how it looks in the family editor, and how I want it to look in the project, but all I see in the project is the top and the bottom of the entire family.

You have to set the visibility of your model (while editing the family) to don't show in plan. Just select the objects from the family and go to Visibility and check if you want or not to show it in plan, elevations, etc... Then you add symbolic lines that will represent the model the way you want in all views.

Andre Carvalho