PDA

View Full Version : Making Detail Components (was On Another Note)

jkd3
2008-04-01, 09:27 PM
I would like to create my own designs for detail components, like a chair, or a medical device... How do I do that? Is that a "family"? I am really confused about the heirarchy here and how to get started. Any thoughts?

dhurtubise
2008-04-01, 09:29 PM
It is in fact a family. It could be a chair family or it could be a detail. Depends on the needs :-)
Theres some family creation tutorial available, run through those first

jkd3
2008-04-01, 09:46 PM
Okay... well specifically, I would like to make a microscope, for example. Do I create my own "family" or is it easier to use an existing one?
Conversly, is RevIt the program to use for such a tiny detail, or is there something else 3D? and then I guess I would be interested in what that program is compatible with, etc. etc.

I didnt say my questions would be easy...

jkd3
2008-04-01, 09:47 PM
Oh yeah... where can I find the tutorials you spoke of?

dhurtubise
2008-04-01, 10:06 PM
Level of detail can become an issue depending onthe size of your projects

You will find the tutorials under Help - Tutorials

Lashers
2008-04-02, 09:59 AM
Have you tried contacting / or websearching the microscope company to see if they have a CAD drawing of a microscope already? Is it a 2D or 3D object that you want?

If 2D find a DWG version (if there is not already a Revit one), start a new family, link in the DWG, trace the lines with Revit DETAIL lines, un-link the DWG and save. You can then load the family into the project and place it where you need.

Do the tutorials first anyway so that you are familiar with the tools and methodologe. I dont make many families, but it is relatively straightforward once you get your brain in the right zone.

Andy

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-02, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah... where can I find the tutorials you spoke of?

Try this one attached. It is very basic but good for those starting playing with families creation. It was created by Hardy-Brown.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho