PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting wall layers

nextvkin
2008-04-02, 11:33 AM
Hi all,
I have a cavity wall with a tiled finish layer (internal) which I want to adjust vertically at the top & bottom. I also want to adjust the inner brick skin of the wall, in other words 2 layers of independent adjustments. Is this possible? I've tried but can't seem to do it. Anyone help please? Thanks.
Kay

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-02, 01:05 PM
Hi all,
I have a cavity wall with a tiled finish layer (internal) which I want to adjust vertically at the top & bottom. I also want to adjust the inner brick skin of the wall, in other words 2 layers of independent adjustments. Is this possible? I've tried but can't seem to do it. Anyone help please? Thanks.
Kay

You'll have to add a reveal profile to your wall assembly. Go to your wall properties / Edit New / Edit / Preview / Change to section view / Reveals / Add your profile and play with that.

Andre Carvalho

tomnewsom
2008-04-02, 01:12 PM
Personally, I would create the inner finish layer as a seperate wall and Join the two together. This can create problems with window/door surrounds, but it'll be less of a hassle with a thin layer, like tiles.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-02, 01:31 PM
...which I want to adjust vertically at the top & bottom.

Just to be clear on my own post:
If the cavity you want is vertical (as I think it is, reading your post again), then you can't do what I suggested because these embedded wall reveals (or sweeps) are horizontal only.

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-04-02, 02:23 PM
Not sure if I fully understand the post, but it almost sounds like he just wants to adjust the model surface pattern by selecting one of the surface pattern lines and moving it.

*edit* oops nevermind, I think he is asking about unlocking layers to adjust the top and bottom extensions, but the answer is that you can only unlock and adjust adjacent layers together.

clog boy
2008-04-02, 02:26 PM
You can align surface patterns to just about anything. Just use the align tool/

nextvkin
2008-04-03, 02:37 AM
Thanks all for your input, this is what I'm trying to achieve (see attached).
I did do a separate wall, but when it came to doors, windows & openings it was a pain.
I know about aligning the surface pattern but that's not what I'm trying to do. I just want to drag the top of inner skin to just above ceiling height as shown and drag the base to the floor finish level while the brick will go down to the slab.
If this is not possible any suggestion for an alternative or is a separate wall theonly alternative? Thanks.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-03, 03:24 AM
Thanks all for your input, this is what I'm trying to achieve (see attached).
I did do a separate wall, but when it came to doors, windows & openings it was a pain.
I know about aligning the surface pattern but that's not what I'm trying to do. I just want to drag the top of inner skin to just above ceiling height as shown and drag the base to the floor finish level while the brick will go down to the slab.
If this is not possible any suggestion for an alternative or is a separate wall theonly alternative? Thanks.

Well, now looking at your sketch, again I will suggest you what I've said on my post above: Doing it as embedded wall reveals. Create two profiles, one for the bottom and one for the top and add them to the wall assembly as explained on my previous post. You can change the profiles if you want to change the reveals or you can change the offsets to move them up or down (create your profiles bigger, if using this option).

Using wall reveals, you can insert doors, windows and openings with no problems. No need to control 2 walls too. Also, trying to use only one wall and playing with the layers (top and bottom) wouldn't be possible because the bottom of your wall wouldn't have its layers adjacent.

See my example attached.

Andre Carvalho

nextvkin
2008-04-03, 09:00 AM
Hey Andre, thanks for the example, it works perfectly. One thing puzzles me though, when I gave the interior finish layer a surface pattern it appeared in the reveals instead of the main part. Using the paint tool fixes it though. I'm using your idea. Thanks again.

tomnewsom
2008-04-03, 09:03 AM
Hang on, surely all you need to do is draw your floor to the correct place (ie. to the face of the Core) and Join it to the wall, thus cutting out the bottom part?

nextvkin
2008-04-03, 12:26 PM
Yes I did that originally, as attached, but I found that joining wall to floor messes up the linework in that the thick floor line does not continue around the floor, it thins out where the floor "cuts" the wall. But thinking about it further I've made the inner brick skin adjustable so I don't have to join it to the floor to cut it, instead I've joined the tiled wall with the floor and the result's pretty good. Thanks all for your time & input.

PS One further question regarding adding thin layers to walls - at 1:100 it's going to show up as a thick dark line - is there a visibility control to turn off layers at certain scales?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-03, 01:00 PM
PS One further question regarding adding thin layers to walls - at 1:100 it's going to show up as a thick dark line - is there a visibility control to turn off layers at certain scales?

What if you set your view to coarse?

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-04-03, 02:22 PM
I would have done the tile as a separate wall, and then just joined geometry to the main brick wall. That would automatically create openings in both walls at all inserted doors, windows, etc.

But to tell the truth, I would probably have just put the tile in the wall type and let my large-scale wall section details (with walls turned off) take care of illustrating that the tile stops just above the ceiling. That's what I always do when I have gyp-board on the inside of my exterior walls.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-03, 02:29 PM
I would have done the tile as a separate wall, and then just joined geometry to the main brick wall. That would automatically create openings in both walls at all inserted doors, windows, etc.

Patrick's idea is good too, but if following it, don't forget to add a parameter to your door and window frames to be able to change it when you join two walls. The frame will wrap the host wall only and joining two walls will make it stay wrapped at the hosted one. The parameter will then make it wider to accommodate both walls.

Andre Carvalho