PDA

View Full Version : Doors don't cut Instance...

MNsnowtaTy
2008-04-02, 01:34 PM
I've never really had this happen before, but I'm sure there is a simple solution that I've just missed. I'm trying to place a door in plan view but I get this message: "Can't cut instance of 34" x 80" out of Wall." Yet I can place a door in 3D view. Anyone know what I'm missing here.

Thanks!

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-02, 01:47 PM
I've never really had this happen before, but I'm sure there is a simple solution that I've just missed. I'm trying to place a door in plan view but I get this message: "Can't cut instance of 34" x 80" out of Wall." Yet I can place a door in 3D view. Anyone no what I'm missing here.

Thanks!

And when you place it in 3D, is it the same location? Can you see it in plan after you place it in 3D? Is there any plan region there?

Andre Carvalho

MNsnowtaTy
2008-04-02, 01:48 PM
Yeah it's in the same place, and it shows the door opening then in plan view.

jeffh
2008-04-02, 02:09 PM
I would check the family for the door. Sounds like something funky with the opening part of the family. Not locked to faces of the host wall...something along those lines.

Have you tried placing the door into a different wall family? Perhaps the wall family and the opening used in the door family are not liking one another.

clog boy
2008-04-02, 02:18 PM
Is the origin of your door below the bottom of the troublesome wall?
I have two tests for you, alter the top and bottom of your wall in the project, if this solves it then you have to adjust the size of your opening, or the location of your origin.
At the same time check if the door (in Edit Family mode) acts 'weird' when you alter the thickness of your wall.

Can you please post your door, so we can have a look?

MNsnowtaTy
2008-04-02, 02:27 PM
Yeah I tried on different walls and different levels. And I've tried a few different doors, all of which are from Revit out of the box. Yet I still get the same errors. Once I place it in 3D I'm able to move it wherever I want and it shows up just as it was expected to.

It works for now, but I don't want to keep doing a work around just to place doors.

MNsnowtaTy
2008-04-02, 02:46 PM
So I changed the walls top and bottom heights, and now on my main floor and upper floor the doors work and I am able to place them in a plan view just fine. However, the lower level floor still gives me the same error.
The door works exactly how it should when I Edit the Family, I changed the wall thickness and everything worked to make it look the same as the previous wall thickness.

MNsnowtaTy
2008-04-03, 05:37 PM
In the end I found out what my problem was. When I was renaming my levels, on the level I've been working I forgot to make the changes for the corresponding views. So I had a Lower Level Floor Plan, but I my Lower Level - Level wasn't saying it was with my Lower Level Floor Plan. So I ended up creating a new Level, and naming the floor plan after it again so that it then corresponded to that level. Now I can draw in it and everything works like it was supposed to. I think I just missed it and I haven't checked my elevation views in a while, cuz it's only a school project, so I didn't notice that that lower level showed up black and not blue to mean that a floor plan was with it.