PDA

View Full Version : Wall trim with fascia tool

bob.86982
2008-04-03, 05:05 PM
From some other posts I learned I can draw model lines on a wall face in elevation and use the host sweep / roof fascia tool to attach whatever trim profile I want.

My problem is the fascia tool will attach to all model lines I draw except vertical. It attaches to horizontal lines, angled lines, arched lines, etc. and miters all segments nicely but it won't it won't attach to the vertical lines.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

dhurtubise
2008-04-03, 05:19 PM
Use a vertical sweep with the same profile

bob.86982
2008-04-03, 05:50 PM
Daniel,

Are you talking about a wall sweep?, I can put it in but it does not miter to the other pieces that are put in with the fascia sweep.

dhurtubise
2008-04-03, 08:46 PM
It works if they have the same material, use Join Geometry

bob.86982
2008-04-03, 09:34 PM
Daniel,

I still don't get it. I have a shape that is a rectangle with a triangular top. I drew the outline on an elevation view with model lines and attached a 1x4 casing profile with the fascia tool to the bottom horizontal piece and the angled pieces at the top.

I then attached the same profile with the wall sweep tool to the vertical sides. I have both profiles as "by category" material. The verticals will not miter with the other pieces.

I can't tell much from your thumbnail, are just the vertical pieces drawn with a wall sweep and the others with a fascia sweep?

It seems like there should be a way to do this with one tool.

dhurtubise
2008-04-03, 09:40 PM
Just build the family as a wall (or face) based family then.

Yes the vertical one is a sweep the others are fascia

Gadget Man
2008-04-04, 08:08 AM
... I have both profiles as "by category" material...

Use some explicit material in both cases (rather than "by category") - the materials MUST be the same for them to join geometry. If you use "by category" than you MUST make sure that both categories use exactly the same material.

bob.86982
2008-04-04, 03:49 PM
I must be missing something very basic here?

The only way i have found to put in a wall sweep is from the modeling tab, host sweep, wall sweep. It then puts in the sweep either vertical the full height of the wall, or horizontal the full width of the wall. I then have to drag their end points to where they would intersect with the other pieces I want to connect, and then they will not miter.

I have been thru the help files and they just don't explain in a way I can understand, how to do this. Is there not a way to put in wall sweep segments along a path in at least horizontal and vertical? For what I have determined you cannot put a wall sweep on an angle which does not make sense to me.

dhurtubise
2008-04-04, 04:03 PM
Those are a combination of fascia and sweep. But likei suggest earlier, create a wall-based family

bob.86982
2008-04-04, 05:01 PM
ok, I was able to create a wall based family in a shape i want with a 1x4 flat extrusion I created in the family. I cannot load a pre-defined profile into this type of template for a moulding shape. Do I have to recreate that profile in the family?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-04, 05:27 PM
ok, I was able to create a wall based family in a shape i want with a 1x4 flat extrusion I created in the family. I cannot load a pre-defined profile into this type of template for a moulding shape. Do I have to recreate that profile in the family?

You can load the profile into the family, can't you?

Andre Carvalho

bob.86982
2008-04-04, 05:58 PM
I don't know how to load the profile into the wall based family.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-04, 08:43 PM
I don't know how to load the profile into the wall based family.

When creating the geometry inside the family: Solid Form > Solid Sweep > Load profiles (on top of the screen). Of course, you have to create your profile to be loaded first.

Andre Carvalho

bob.86982
2008-04-04, 09:23 PM
Andre,

Thank you so much, that was what I needed. I was picking solid extrusion instead of solid sweep. Sorry I was so dumb about this. I still wish you could do these sweeps by path in the project instead of doing them in a family and loading them in.