PDA

View Full Version : Shared Detail Components always on top

HinsZey
2008-04-04, 04:56 AM
I have found that all my 'shared' detailed components are always on top of the display order. As you can imagine, this is a bit of a pain. Has anyone else found this a problem? I use 'shared' detail components so when they are nested for common details I can tag each component individually. Is there a work around?

Simple example attached

Thanks
B

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-04, 01:44 PM
I have found that all my 'shared' detailed components are always on top of the display order. As you can imagine, this is a bit of a pain. Has anyone else found this a problem? I use 'shared' detail components so when they are nested for common details I can tag each component individually. Is there a work around?

Simple example attached

Thanks
B

The problem is that your nested families are are shared. If you don't share them, you can work with the draw order (which is not available when the element is shared...)
And I don't think there's a work around for the problem.

I would give up trying to do this in families and would do it as groups with in the project. Editing either a family or a group is one click away. You also can save groups to use in another projects.

Andre Carvalho

HinsZey
2008-04-05, 11:44 PM
If I don't share the detail components then they can't be tagged individually which is why I'm nesting / sharing them.

And as for groups, well, i'm sure this will cause a stir but NO WAY! The whole reason for using nested detail components is because groups are soooo inconsistant.
i have grouped detail components within the same project and when I copy and paste some groups, sometimes the detail componets within the group mirror, or they end up miles away. I've tried and tried with groups with very little success.
I am using revit architecture 2008 build: 20071109_2345 where I thought the probelms were suppose to be solved, but nup.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-06, 03:33 AM
If I don't share the detail components then they can't be tagged individually which is why I'm nesting / sharing them.

And as for groups, well, i'm sure this will cause a stir but NO WAY! The whole reason for using nested detail components is because groups are soooo inconsistant.
i have grouped detail components within the same project and when I copy and paste some groups, sometimes the detail componets within the group mirror, or they end up miles away. I've tried and tried with groups with very little success.
I am using revit architecture 2008 build: 20071109_2345 where I thought the probelms were suppose to be solved, but nup.

Look at this thread: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=72416

Looks like I'm not the only one who prefer groups over nested/shared detail components...
As for the groups problem you are having, have you filled a support request about that?

Andre Carvalho

HinsZey
2008-04-06, 10:57 PM
Thanks, that's interesting.
Have you ever had trouble with detail components mirroring within groups, or even moving miles away from their original position?
I guess its time to stick some of that hair back into my head and try out groups yet again.
I haven't sent a support request in so that'll be my next step.
thank again. B