PDA

View Full Version : Mass Objects able to cast shadows in plan?

aeckhoff
2008-04-04, 02:48 PM
I'm sure I'm missing something basic, but I've got a site plan where I've created several different types of units using families - these are just mass objects at this preliminary stage and I created them as families so I could schedule them (there are a LOT of different units) and keep track of count. I also have a tag that designates the unit type on the plan.

I would like to have a colored plan with shadows, but I can't get the mass objects to cast shadows - I have a couple walls drawn on the site and those do cast shadows. I am able to get shadows in a 3D view oriented to top view and that gives me the look I want, but then I can't tag my units with my letter designation.

Any thoughts?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-04, 02:56 PM
I'm sure I'm missing something basic, but I've got a site plan where I've created several different types of units using families - these are just mass objects at this preliminary stage and I created them as families so I could schedule them (there are a LOT of different units) and keep track of count. I also have a tag that designates the unit type on the plan.

I would like to have a colored plan with shadows, but I can't get the mass objects to cast shadows - I have a couple walls drawn on the site and those do cast shadows. I am able to get shadows in a 3D view oriented to top view and that gives me the look I want, but then I can't tag my units with my letter designation.

Any thoughts?

First of all, make sure your masses material is not set with transparency. The default mass material is set with 75% transparency...

Regarding the top view, you can create a new view (or use the Site view) that is a view with a view range top very high. You can then tag it in plan, as you want.

Andre Carvalho

aeckhoff
2008-04-04, 04:01 PM
We set up materials for the masses to show differences between roofs and walls. They are all set to 0 transparency and, when viewed in 3D, they are not transparent. However, in the plan view, they behave transparent (I can see my site color through my masses) - I did check VG and masses are NOT checked to be transparent in the view.

I do have my site plan view range set high, but unless I can get the shadows to show up, I'll have trouble using that view.

dgraue
2008-04-04, 04:36 PM
In your View Range be sure the Bottom is NOT set to Associated Level. Set it to Level Below.

DG

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-04, 04:46 PM
In your View Range be sure the Bottom is NOT set to Associated Level. Set it to Level Below.

DG

The test I am doing to try to figure out his/her problem is set to Associated Level and is showing both mass colors and shadows... :roll:

Is it a Mass family? If yes, is the visibility on the family set to display in Plans/RCP or it is off and you are using symbolic lines?

Andre Carvalho

aeckhoff
2008-04-04, 06:24 PM
I had view range set to level below.
It is a mass family, and I checked the family and it was set to visible in all view types. There are no symbolic lines being used.

I created a view template from my 3D top view and applied it to my site plan - now the masses in the site plan are casting shadows and showing solid. But I swear I had gone through all of the settings and they were the same between them.

dgraue
2008-04-04, 06:56 PM
Hmm, the other thing I'd check is you sun and shadow settings in that view. You can set the Ground Plane to different levels. Maybe this is set to a level too high?