PDA

View Full Version : Wall layer - sloped

tonyisenhoff
2004-09-03, 03:15 PM
How can I modify only one layer of a wall to be lowered "at an angle" to match a sloped grade. I don't want to edit the profile of the whole wall, just on ONE of the layers...

I've already gone into the wall family, unlocked the needed layers (Siding), modified it in the project (pulled straight down), but I want to drag one end lower than the other to match the green line (sloped grade).

Does that make sense? Any suggestions?

luigi
2004-09-03, 04:51 PM
Hi, find attached a file using a component (a modified opening family)
It may be archaic, but at least you can get the job done.
The cut opening, unfortunetely, needs to be aligned 4 to 5 times to get it right. If it helps....great....if it doesn't...well, oh well

tonyisenhoff
2004-09-03, 04:55 PM
I will take a gander...

Thanks!

FK
2004-09-03, 06:34 PM
Another option is to place a sweep, but you'll have to fiddle with the profile.

Allen Lacy
2004-09-03, 07:26 PM
Why not just use an void extrusion?

tonyisenhoff
2004-09-04, 11:21 PM
That was my first thought and I created the void, but didn't know how to attach the void to the wall...

What are the steps after you have modified the layer of the wall and created the void? How do you make them play nicely.

Thanks

Allen Lacy
2004-09-07, 01:45 PM
After modifying the wall, I extended the siding layer down to whatever the low point would be. Then, in elevation view, I created a void extrusion, selected the wall in question and drew the sloped void (I guess you could step the void if that was more approriate). Since my siding layer was 3/4", I made my void 3/4" as well (starts at 0, the wall, and ends at -3/4"). Before Finish Family, use the Cut Geometry tool and select the void and the wall. That should do it.

tonyisenhoff
2004-09-07, 02:48 PM
Perfect - It was the cut geometry step I was missing.

Thanks!

adegnan
2004-09-07, 05:51 PM
Perfect - It was the cut geometry step I was missing.

Thanks!
Yes, it can be easy to forget that! But you need to tell it what to cut. Really, you could make the void larger than it needs to be but if you only tell it to cut the wall, it won't cut anything else. So it is handy that way when you get used to it.

tonyisenhoff
2004-09-07, 06:19 PM
I did make my void larger. I figured it didn't matter since I was only cutting into one specific object anyway.

Thanks!