PDA

View Full Version : View settings

oxidation
2008-04-08, 06:06 PM
I am trying to view the steel structure of a building. I have set up a structural floor plan view that includes only structural elements. The problem I am having is that the beams are not visible, regardless of the view range settings (which are currently set to infinity for top and bottom.) I do not think it is a view range issue because steel trusses at the same floor levels are visible. The beams are visible in a 3D view.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-08, 06:21 PM
I am trying to view the steel structure of a building. I have set up a structural floor plan view that includes only structural elements. The problem I am having is that the beams are not visible, regardless of the view range settings (which are currently set to infinity for top and bottom.) I do not think it is a view range issue because steel trusses at the same floor levels are visible. The beams are visible in a 3D view.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Is your view set to Coarse detail level? Usually beams show as single lines on coarse mode.

Andre Carvalho

oxidation
2008-04-08, 06:27 PM
They do not show up in any of the detail settings.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-08, 06:37 PM
They do not show up in any of the detail settings.

What about the Visibility / Graphics menu (VG)? Are the structural elements ON?
Also, have you tried to change both the view range bottom and depth to Unlimited?

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-08, 06:39 PM
I also forgot to ask you about worksets and design options. Are you working with worksets or design options? If yes, are they ON on the view you are working on?

Andre Carvalho

oxidation
2008-04-08, 06:44 PM
What about the Visibility / Graphics menu (VG)? Are the structural elements ON?
Also, have you tried to change both the view range bottom and depth to Unlimited?

Andre Carvalho

Andre,

The structural elements are on (hence the visibility of the trusses) and the view range has been set to unlimited.

John

oxidation
2008-04-08, 06:47 PM
I also forgot to ask you about worksets and design options. Are you working with worksets or design options? If yes, are they ON on the view you are working on?

Andre Carvalho

Andre,

I am not. That's what makes this so frustrating.

John

gwnelson
2008-04-08, 06:49 PM
Do you have the VP Discipline set to Structural - not default Architectural?

oxidation
2008-04-08, 07:02 PM
Do you have the VP Discipline set to Structural - not default Architectural?

Thanks Glenn.

I did reset the VP discipline to structural but that did not make any difference.

John

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-08, 07:39 PM
I am trying to view the steel structure of a building...

Are you creating these beams or someone else did and you are trying to see it into your project? I mean, is it a linked file from structural?

If not, is it any of the out of the box Revit beams?

Andre Carvalho

oxidation
2008-04-08, 07:46 PM
Are you creating these beams or someone else did and you are trying to see it into your project? I mean, is it a linked file from structural?

If not, is it any of the out of the box Revit beams?

Andre Carvalho

Andre

I have created all the structural elements - columns, beams and trusses. This structure was built in 1959, so the current AISC shapes do not cover most of the steel in this building. I have taken the out of the box structural elements and modified them to create accurate shapes. The beams are visible in sections and 3D views, just not in plan.

Thanks,

John

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-08, 07:55 PM
Andre

I have created all the structural elements - columns, beams and trusses. This structure was built in 1959, so the current AISC shapes do not cover most of the steel in this building. I have taken the out of the box structural elements and modified them to create accurate shapes. The beams are visible in sections and 3D views, just not in plan.

Thanks,

John

I see. So if you edit the family, are the elements visibility checked to Plan/RCP?
Also, if you copy one beam to a new, blank file, does it show there?

If it doesn't show on the blank file too, it will be a good idea to post the beam family, so we can see it better...

Andre Carvalho

mmates
2008-04-09, 02:13 PM
I see a few things have already been looked into, but I have some other suggestions:

What happens if you switch the VP's Discipline to Coordination or Architectural? You already told us that Structural did not work.
What happens if you copy the plan view, and then apply a Strucutral Framing Template to the view?
What happens if you select the beam in a 3D view and choose Edit Family in the Options Bar. Select the beam in the family file, and then choose Visibility in the Options Bar. Is Plan/RCP checked? Detail Levels OK?Hope this helps.