PDA

View Full Version : Family with mulitple finishes

STHRevit
2008-04-10, 07:22 AM
OK, This is probably really simple, but I seem to have tied myself in knots.
i have a certain fixture that i am using and I need to be able to set different colours for each instance as they appear in the model.
For example, a vanity basin. I want to use the one fmaily, but when placed in a project several times, we can choose to have ecah one a different colour.

Any help appreciated.

tomnewsom
2008-04-10, 09:44 AM
In the family editor, set the Material property of each component to an Instance Parameter, which you can then change in the project. If you make it a Shared Parameter, and include that shared parameter in your project, then you will be able to schedule this information. Alternatively, make the Material parameter a Type parameter and create alternative Family Types with descriptive names (red, blue, green etc.)

Elmo
2008-04-10, 11:00 AM
For Scheduling purposes creating a new type is better as will then be able to get a correct count on the families.

tomnewsom
2008-04-10, 12:46 PM
For Scheduling purposes creating a new type is better as will then be able to get a correct count on the families.
True. And they would most likely be different model #s from the manufacturer

STHRevit
2008-04-11, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I have been tinkering with this method, but must be missing something along the way.
I guess the best way to learn is keep trying.

Glad to know I was on the right track.
Thanks for your help.