PDA

View Full Version : HP design jet 1050 ok?

vanderloo5
2004-09-06, 12:27 AM
I hope it's alright to get plotter purchase advice here. My design jet 450c is just tooooooo slooooooow. I've been advised to check into the 1050(c?) but would like some unbiased opinions. Got the recommendation from a dealer.
Any opinions on this one?
I need fast, clean plots and dependability.

Thanks,
Phil

Glenn Pope
2004-09-06, 08:22 AM
We got the 1050c about 3 years ago, and we love it. Very fast and very good quality. Really like the huge ink cartages. They may be expensive, but it usually takes us nearly a year before they have to be replaced. Plus the 300ft roll of paper is nice too.

stilesj
2004-09-13, 01:46 PM
We have one and it works great for us...we also use a 755cm and even it is significantly slower than the 1050. Also very easy to load paper and change inks on the 1050c.

mjfarrell
2004-09-13, 04:21 PM
Phil,

This just arrived in my inbox:

http://h10038.www1.hp.com/promotions_detail.asp?promoid=707&agencyid=0&jumpid=in_R33_go/psdj27_LOB|PS - Tap into HP’s fastest large-format printing technology and earn fast cash too! The Cash In & Trade Up promotion is now extended through October 15, 2004. Click here for more details. While you’re there, register to win the HP Designjet 800ps for your agency or department

For the record I am a huge fan of all products HP.

The best reason I can give happened just last year.
My HP Laptop was knocked to the floor from just over a meter.
It showed no signs of dammage, however while traveling
the following weeks, it started to behave oddly. It did however
function thoughout the training classes I was conducting.
Upon my return from the trip, I turned it on and it failed to boot up.
Turns out I had seriously damaged the main board!
A quick replacement ordered from their on-line parts store
solved that problem! The fact that it worked for a month while
seriously injured was quite suprising!

JeremiahM
2004-09-13, 09:11 PM
The 1050 is a great machine, i used to be in an office that had one. Awsome for production (BW sheets approx 45sec), if you need alot done daily, it is the machine. Right now we have and HP800. This is an awsome machine as well (BW sheets approx 60sec, full color Csize Aerial images w/drawing approx 4-6 min at max res). It doesnt have quite the capacity but it will do wider 46" rolls and the resolution for images is much higher than the 1050. It holds much more ink than the 450, but not as much as the 1050. The biggest factor is cost, I think it is about 2K+ less than the 1050. 1050 has also been around for a while and who knows what HP's life-cycle will be on it!

Overall, if you need alot of prduction- 1050 hands down. If you want a great overall machine and some money in your pocket, go with the 800.

Jeremiah

tarch
2004-09-13, 10:27 PM
I hope it's alright to get plotter purchase advice here. My design jet 450c is just tooooooo slooooooow. I've been advised to check into the 1050(c?) but would like some unbiased opinions. Got the recommendation from a dealer.
Any opinions on this one?
I need fast, clean plots and dependability.

Thanks,
Phil

Great plotter except huge time gap between 2 plots which diminishes its printing speed. Second, drop basket isn't well designed for paper smaller than A0 so the sheets curl until the basket is full and then spill over. So if you plan unattended overnight plotting with its huge 500 ft role, forget it. It needs a sitter.

Alek

sandy.sebastian
2004-09-21, 02:26 AM
We have two 1050c's. One with a single roll. One that holds multiple rolls of paper. They work great. The one with the multi paper feeder comes with a 'laundry basket' That will catch any and all overnight printing. Great when you switch frequently between paper sizes.

kmoran
2004-09-23, 03:15 AM
The 1050S are OK plotters but if you don't need color a toner based plotter my better suite your needs.
Your requirements were "Fast and Reliable", ink-jet plotters are neither (my opinion) OCE TDS 400 or KIP Starprint 2000 are good Low end $20,000.00 or so and will out prouduce any ink-jet on the market. Both come with 36" wide scanner options.

kmoran
2004-09-23, 03:16 AM
The 1050 is a great machine, i used to be in an office that had one. Awsome for production (BW sheets approx 45sec), if you need alot done daily, it is the machine. Right now we have and HP800. This is an awsome machine as well (BW sheets approx 60sec, full color Csize Aerial images w/drawing approx 4-6 min at max res). It doesnt have quite the capacity but it will do wider 46" rolls and the resolution for images is much higher than the 1050. It holds much more ink than the 450, but not as much as the 1050. The biggest factor is cost, I think it is about 2K+ less than the 1050. 1050 has also been around for a while and who knows what HP's life-cycle will be on it!

Overall, if you need alot of prduction- 1050 hands down. If you want a great overall machine and some money in your pocket, go with the 800.

Jeremiah

Good advice

kmoran
2004-09-24, 05:27 AM
BTW If you do a lot of plotting with the 1000 series Design Jets remember to keep the Platen clean and free of Ink/Paper dust build up or you will start getting Pen Path 2 errors, also cleaning and lubing the carriage rods will help with Pen Path 1 errors.