PDA

View Full Version : Revit and Construction

jspartz
2008-04-10, 10:12 PM
Revit being one of the leading programs in BIM and how BIM is supposed to be used throughout the life-cycle of the building, really needs to address some issues with going from the design model to a construction model. In every project I have to break up each floor by pour. That means cut and paste and modify the floor outline 20 times per floor. In every project I have to break up the columns by floor, which means making a schedule and going through them by lengths to find similar ones, modifying the base and top starting with the top level and then copying them down every floor.

My thought is that Revit could stay on top of this and make tools to solve these problems. Specialized split tools would be nice. Take a floor and just draw all the breaks in it and it will split it into that many sections. Or pick a bunch of columns and tell it to split them all at specified levels.

I know that Autodesk includes things that are asked for the most and this is not asked for yet as far as I know, but this will be very common in the future and I think that these tools would come in use even during design.

aretap
2008-04-10, 10:59 PM
I would somewhat agree. But my other thought is that there should be a separate Revit Construction version. That would have these tools as well as estimating and take off tools and better clash detection similar to the inovaya/timberline/navisworks combo used today. Then the process would be much smoother. Autodesk already owns Navis and Revit. Combine those technologies and you would have a winner for CA/CM. Plus, it would help Autodesk in there mission to own the entire Life-cycle of the building when added to FM Desktop for facilities management!

:?:My 2 cents anyway!:?:

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-10, 11:29 PM
But my other thought is that there should be a separate Revit Construction version.

Another Revit flavour? Maybe I'm out of the main subject of this thread, but I would like an unified Revit including architecture, structure, MEP and why not construction as you proposed, in one package.

We have a pool at http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=71505 with great opinions about it and looks like most users are also voting for a unified Revit...

Andre Carvalho

mruehr
2008-04-11, 01:00 AM
well i am certainly not in favor of another flavor of revit
my view is model like you build this will help understand
the building better and your design decisions are build-able
for the split tools OK but way down on my wish list

jspartz
2008-04-11, 02:56 PM
I used to be on the design side, so I know that when designing they will never know or care how you are going to pour floors. That's not there job, so I disagree. They don't need to know how it's done, but down the line the floors do need to be split up by pours. Even if the architect tried, we would redo it, which would be even more painful.

I agree that there should be a construction version of Revit as well. Or maybe the construction version is Architecture, Structure, MEP, and the construction tools all put into one, because we need all of them. Great idea.

zenomail105021
2008-04-12, 08:40 AM
From a takeoff/estimation point of view, if we could just schedule integral sweeps (e.g. to schedule crown or base mold) it would be a tremendous improvement. Considering that the program is touted also as a scheduling program, I am surprised at this late date in its development that this is not possible. It is an amazing program but why so many things are half done is disappointing.

Bill Maddox

Annie.Keleher
2008-04-12, 11:51 AM
Hi all, I read about a piece of sotware that has the ability to take a cad file and change it [to look like] it was done as a hand-sketch. I read about it [in one of the monthly newletters/magazines], on line; for the live of me, I cannot remember the name of the software.... can some one help me with the name?

Has anyone used it and have any thoughts about the software? Many thanks, /a.

zenomail105021
2008-04-12, 12:52 PM
I think it is Autodesk Impression and will come with Revit 2009 I read someplace.

Bill Maddox

aggockel50321
2008-04-12, 01:14 PM
for the live of me, I cannot remember the name of the software.... can some one help me with the name?

There's a product called Squiggle that's been around for some time.

A Google search will point the way...

At the far end of the life cycle, adesk's FM desktop keeps hinting about a better product, integrated into Revit in the near future.

jeffh
2008-04-12, 03:03 PM
Hi all, I read about a piece of sotware that has the ability to take a cad file and change it [to look like] it was done as a hand-sketch. I read about it [in one of the monthly newletters/magazines], on line; for the live of me, I cannot remember the name of the software.... can some one help me with the name?

Has anyone used it and have any thoughts about the software? Many thanks, /a.

Autodesk has a product called Impression. I created this image in about 1.5 hours (I had never used Impression before today.) This was a Revit project brought into Impression as a DWF file.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-12, 06:50 PM
We're all familiar with how sketch mode in Revit works. I think the same concept could be extended to breaking up slabs by pour. In fact, this "mode" seems also appropriate in order to define support points for walls and curtain walls....you enter "support sketch mode" and sketch in lines to depict the support points, and based on some criteria, Revit would alert you if allowable spans are exceeded. So for the slab, it would almost seem as if you're splitting the surface to "paint" it with different materials. So the Engineer/Architect model a continuous slab and then, the VC would get in sketch mode and split up the "pours" parameter as needed, giving a number, date and time to each area.

I'm just dreaming here, but it could work as a workflow.

jspartz
2008-04-17, 08:15 PM
Yes, and then have a Break Up feature on it like with the stacked walls and it would be able to be broken apart into separate pieces for exporting and timelineing purposes.

Also, it needs logistical tools. A sheeting tool so you can just draw lines and it will turn it into a sheet that you drive into the ground to hold up the terrain. And a fencing tool that lets you draw lines and it creates a fence that actually follows your topography.