PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Shell a Solid

Jack Cheong
2008-04-11, 08:12 AM
I'm using ACAD 2008 Full
Use the Shell command to shell a solid, 1st select the solid, then select the face, command line show 1 face remove, Enter then input the offset distance, Enter.
But there is no hole created, F2 to check, it show:
Modeling operation error
No solution for a vertex
What happen? Anyone has the same probklem?
thx

Jack Cheong

jaberwok
2008-04-13, 09:03 AM
It sounds as if your model is either too complex for the modeller to calculate or it is simply badly formed.
Have you run the Check function before the shell operation? That will tell you if it is malformed.
If the base model is okay you might have to slice it into separate parts.

Jack Cheong
2008-04-14, 09:06 AM
It sounds as if your model is either too complex for the modeller to calculate or it is simply badly formed.
Have you run the Check function before the shell operation? That will tell you if it is malformed.
If the base model is okay you might have to slice it into separate parts.

Solidcheck=1, so confirm is a solid
Even I create a simple box 9000x8000x1500, I can shell the 1st one at 300 offset distance, but the 2nd onward will not be able to shell them, F2 to check, the same message appear
Pls advice, thx!

Jack Cheong

jaberwok
2008-04-14, 12:12 PM
Solidcheck=1, so confirm is a solid
Even I create a simple box 9000x8000x1500, I can shell the 1st one at 300 offset distance, but the 2nd onward will not be able to shell them, F2 to check, the same message appear
Pls advice, thx!

Jack Cheong

Sorry, don't know.

Can you copy a shelled box?
Can you shell a second box at a different distance?
How much memory does your machine have?

Jack Cheong
2008-04-16, 11:04 AM
Sorry, don't know.

Can you copy a shelled box?
Can you shell a second box at a different distance?
How much memory does your machine have?

Yes! I can copy a shelled box
No! I cannot shell the 2nd box @ a different offset distance also
RAM 2GB
But if I try a box of 1000x800x600 first, if work on the 1st and the following same vol of boxes
When I continue to shell the 9000x8000x1500 box, it wouldn't work, and after this, it will not work on the smal solid like 100x80x60
Is it the memory problem? What is the RAM memory to work on this?
rgds

Jack cheong

jaberwok
2008-04-16, 12:39 PM
No. 2Gb should be okay.
How far away from the origin is your box?
If it's some distance away, try moving it closer.

Jack Cheong
2008-04-17, 04:08 AM
No. 2Gb should be okay.
How far away from the origin is your box?
If it's some distance away, try moving it closer.

It's very close, not more than 500 units (mm)

Jack Cheong

jaberwok
2008-04-17, 12:24 PM
I'm out of ideas.

Going by your figures, perhaps you should model everything at 1/10 full size then scale up. :screwy:

Jack Cheong
2008-04-19, 06:05 AM
I'm out of ideas.

Going by your figures, perhaps you should model everything at 1/10 full size then scale up. :screwy:

Thanks!
I have do few trial, I found that from */- 10,000 units (mm) for both X & Y, any individual objects can be shell (more than that it cannot be shell), but if there is a single object, it look like no limits, I can shell as big as 50,000 units (mm)
Thanks for telling me this, I didn't know that this is relatated to the origin coordinates, now I know how come sometime I can shell the object and sometime I cannot, it's because of how far the object from the origin (0,0,0)
Thank a lot, it slove my problem!

Jack Cheong

jaberwok
2008-04-19, 11:46 AM
Thanks!
I have do few trial, I found that from */- 10,000 units (mm) for both X & Y, any individual objects can be shell (more than that it cannot be shell), but if there is a single object, it look like no limits, I can shell as big as 50,000 units (mm)
Thanks for telling me this, I didn't know that this is relatated to the origin coordinates, now I know how come sometime I can shell the object and sometime I cannot, it's because of how far the object from the origin (0,0,0)
Thank a lot, it slove my problem!

Jack Cheong

Perhaps this is a limitation that needs to be recorded.
Can anyone else confirm these limits?

JD Mather
2008-05-02, 11:28 PM
Perhaps this is a limitation that needs to be recorded.
Can anyone else confirm these limits?

Very large or very small or distance from origin is well known limitation. Nothing new here.

ronie_ernanto
2008-05-14, 11:00 AM

malformed? looks like it a new term for me. I remember when I create two solids, sometimes it can't be union. is that a malformed too?

engr.mbilalaslam707601
2015-08-25, 10:42 AM
I'm using ACAD 2008 Full
Use the Shell command to shell a solid, 1st select the solid, then select the face, command line show 1 face remove, Enter then input the offset distance, Enter.
But there is no hole created, F2 to check, it show:
Modeling operation error
No solution for a vertex
What happen? Anyone has the same probklem?
thx

Jack Cheong Simply then make the required offset and region the outer and inner shape ,than presspull the outer shap..that will give you the similar result..

tedg
2015-08-25, 01:15 PM
Simply then make the required offset and region the outer and inner shape ,than presspull the outer shap..that will give you the similar result..
Hey congrats on your first post.
Good information I suppose.. but you do realize the last post was 7 years ago right?
You replied to a very old thread ;-)