PDA

View Full Version : Independent View Cannot be Duplicated

jsnyder.68308
2008-04-11, 06:21 PM
I have a floor plan view with its dependency element property listed as independent. However, when I try to duplicate as a dependent (or duplicate or duplicate with detailing), I get an error message stating that "Dependent views cannot be copied." As far as I can tell, this thing is an independent view. Has anyone run across this before? If you have, was there a solution beside deleting the view and starting over?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-11, 08:24 PM
That's wierd...

If you right click the view, do you have the option "Convert to independent view" grayed out?

Andre Carvalho

DaveP
2008-04-11, 09:06 PM
I had this happen to me twice. The first time, it turned out that the View I was trying to Duplicate had a Callout on it that had been Duplicated as Dependent. Therefore, it couldn't duplicate the Parent, because it would have also copied the Callout. That one I made the Callout Independent, and then I could Duplicate what I needed.
The second one - for some reason I was able to do a DasD of another view that was under the main & it let me Duplicate it. Kind of the opposite of what you're supposed to be able to do, but it worked. :roll:

I think # 1 is the real solution, though.

jsnyder.68308
2008-04-14, 05:07 AM
I had this happen to me twice. The first time, it turned out that the View I was trying to Duplicate had a Callout on it that had been Duplicated as Dependent. Therefore, it couldn't duplicate the Parent, because it would have also copied the Callout. That one I made the Callout Independent, and then I could Duplicate what I needed.
The second one - for some reason I was able to do a DasD of another view that was under the main & it let me Duplicate it. Kind of the opposite of what you're supposed to be able to do, but it worked. :roll:

I think # 1 is the real solution, though.

It was number one (smelled like #2 to me though...). I did some digging through the error message and figured it out. User error as usual. Thanks for the help.

aeckhoff
2009-03-19, 04:38 PM
Out of curiosity, how did you make the callout independent? We've just run into the same problem and I'm glad I found this thread so I know I'm not crazy. The feature to convert to independent is grayed out for the callout, and I don't want to lose the connection of my dependent views by making all of them independent.

jagostinho
2015-06-02, 04:03 PM
Are you trying to duplicate a Detail View?
These cannot be Duplicated as Dependents.

If this is the case then
Try changing the View to Building Section View Type > Duplicate as Dependent > Change it back to Detail View Type.