PDA

View Full Version : Grid Lines - Angled Conditions

cek
2008-04-11, 10:03 PM
Is it possible to angle a grid line?

I'm working on constructing a Revit model of an existing office building for a T.I. and the configuration has two wings angling off a central core. The architect of record (using AutoCAD) used a grid line system that angles through the building to follow this form. I was hoping to keep the same grid references but can't get the Revit grids to break on the angle.

At this point it looks like I will just have to use a detail line to complete the grid and forego the detail bubble on the opposing end or construct a line / text element to substitute.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-12, 12:27 AM
Hello Carl,

What I like to do is to use 2 files. I'll give a very simple example:

Let's say you need 2 grid lines A and B and the grid lines are horizontal and break at 45 degrees. We know you can't "break" it to have them at an angle. Also, we know that you can't have them duplicated (in another words, you can't create a new series of grids at 45 degrees and call them A and B, because you are already using these names to the horizontal ones...)

In one file, you draw the horizontal grid lines and name them A and B. Then, on the same file, you draw the ones in angle, naming it C and D for instance. Drag the ends of the grids to make sure the end at each other intersections and look like just one grid that is broken at 45 degrees.
Now, save this file and make a second copy of it. Close the first one and open the second one. On the second one, erase the horizontal grids A and B and leave the ones that are in angle. Since A and B were deleted, you can now rename C and D to become A and B. Save the file and close it.

Now open the first file (the original one) and erase the two grid lines that are in angle (C and D) and link the other file into it (origin to origin).

That's it! You now have one file, showing grid lines in angle, with the same name A and B. If you cut section that are perpendicular to either horizontal grid lines or the angled grid lines, they will show the same grid names exactly as if you could break the grids in one file.

See attached image.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-04-14, 12:21 PM
What if you need to adjust the ends of the grid lines in the linked file in a section or elevation view?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-14, 02:09 PM
What if you need to adjust the ends of the grid lines in the linked file in a section or elevation view?

Unfortunately you can't do that. This method is a workaround to avoid drawing lines and bubbles on every single view. If you want to extend the gridlines you can't do that, even if you edit the linked file on that same view. Revit won't allow you to override your section view to show the linked file grids extended...

If you make sure you have the same levels on both files, the bubbles will keep a certain distance (gap) from the level lines and still work great with the crop region, though.

Andre Carvalho

dhurtubise
2008-04-14, 10:04 PM
You can definitely achieve that using a simple workaround.
See the example here (http://www.revitit.com/files/FixGrid.zip)