PDA

View Full Version : Override dimensions with text

mccurdyks
2008-04-13, 03:49 PM
This is just an update of a previous post floating around regarding how to create a new dimension style that will allow you to put text in the place of the dimension. I figured since I was updating to a new style myself and going through the process again, I'd throw it out for anyone interested.

See the txt file for instructions on how to create such a font, install it on your machine, and the Revit settings to get the best functionality.

Kevin McCurdy

rmejia
2008-04-13, 04:09 PM
Revit 2009 also has this feature built in, one can now override dimensions to add text.

patricks
2008-04-14, 12:14 PM
In my opinion, it's easier to just duplicate your normal dimension style and change the text size to 1/256". That makes the text a mere dot on the sheet that you can cover with text, and even if it's not covered, you probably won't see it on the page, if it even gets printed at all.

But yeah, when 2009 comes out you won't even need any of these workarounds.

cjneedham
2008-04-17, 03:52 AM
But yeah, when 2009 comes out you won't even need any of these workarounds.

'Tis a pity that Autodesk still hasn't solved the bug that means your text overrides applied in 2009 are lost when you edit the dimension string to add or remove another reference... I know it's small, but it severely undermines the tool being there in the first place.

I could guess as to why it occurs - the edited dimension string technically constitutes a new object. This new object does not inherit the overrides of the previous one - there needs to be a link or inheritance within this tool if it is to be of any great value...