PDA

View Full Version : Room Area Does Not Change (was Revit is Lying to me!)

cheryla
2008-04-14, 04:42 PM
Quick Question- I am trying to label a room with Area. The Area is wrong. Even if I change the dimensions of the room, the area stays the same. even if I delete the room label and re-enter it (75 x 40 = 3000). Revit says 2925

I have a love/hate relationship with Revit at this point in time.

sbrown
2008-04-14, 04:46 PM
Check and see where revit is calculating the room from. By default it is to room finish. Note also if there are columns in the room revit will subtract them unless you modify the column to be NOT room bounding.

sfaust
2008-04-14, 04:47 PM
Looks like a tolerance thing. What are you measuring to get that the room is 75x40? Have to double check, but I'm pretty sure that room boundaries are always calculated to the finish face of the wall. You could also check for columns that are room bounding within the room. Not sure without looking at the file, but you should be able to select the room in plan and that will tell you where the boundaries are. Make sure you're measuring there, and use the tape measure or a dimension type that doesn't round...

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-14, 04:56 PM
Even if I change the dimensions of the room, the area stays the same.

If that's true, it can't be a tolerance thing, because even if it was a tolerance thing or measuring it from finish face or core, changing the room dimensions would change the area, isn't it?...

Don't you have any room separation lines hidden? You can always hover your cursor over the room to see where its extents are calculating the area from.

Andre Carvalho

cheryla
2008-04-14, 05:01 PM
Thanks. I figured it out- didn't do anything differently, just kept deleting the room and redoing it.... I guess Revit just decided to play nice this morning after all.

jtobin.68416
2008-04-14, 05:08 PM
Quick Question- I am trying to label a room with Area. The Area is wrong. Even if I change the dimensions of the room, the area stays the same.

I agree with Andre's post above. If the area is not responding to changes in room dimensions, it looks suspicious. Can you check if the area tag is actually reading the room's area?