PDA

View Full Version : Revit program to delete things from project browser

Dave Lewis
2008-04-14, 08:26 PM
On this project I'm a MEP consultant who gets models from an Architect. In order to cleanup their model and cut down on file size I do the following listed below on every project. I do this weekly as we get updates. What I would like to know is can I write some sort of Revit addon application that could automate this process?

Step 1 - Detach from Central
Make sure there is a copy of the model on the network in the coordination \ Incoming folder. Use the open command and make sure to use the Detach from Central option.
Most likely Revit will give you error messages that it cannot find Revit or CAD files, since you do not have the same network drive layout. Just hit OK to these prompts.

Step 2 - Remove Links
Open the Manage Links dialog (File > Manage Links)
Highlight all of the CAD formats and remove them
Repeat on the Revit and DWF Markup tabs

Step 3 - Remove views
First change the project browser to a more manageable format.
Click Settings > Browser Organization

This step will make it easier to delete view types. Delete all 3D Views, Elevations, Sections, Detail Views, Drafting Views, Walkthroughs, Legends, Schedules and Sheets. Expand each view type, multi select all the views you want to delete, then right click and hit delete

Step 4 - Remove unnecessary model elements.
Look at the model in 3D and view some of the plan views and remove any unnecessary elements that are not needed for coordination purposes. Delete items like Topo, Site objects, Drafting lines, etc

Step 5 - Purge
File > Purge Unused.
This will remove any unused families and groups thus lower the model size.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-14, 08:37 PM
Dave,

You may want to add a step 2.5:

Just after getting rid of the linked DWG's go to Settings > Object Styles > Imported Objects > and check if there's any object style remaining from the DWGs. If yes, select them all and delete. It is really boring because you just can't delete all of them at once, you have to do it one by one...

Purge won't purge the object styles from DWG's.

Andre Carvalho

davidcobi
2008-04-14, 08:59 PM
If all you want is the model you might just link the model into an empty project then bind the link and perhaps ungroup. Or would you be losing to much required information that way?

Dave Lewis
2008-04-14, 09:14 PM
I have tried the link and bind method and it does work for simpler models. But the Architects model has too many errors and problems and Revit cannot do the task.

guy.messick825831
2008-04-14, 10:53 PM
Dave et al,

I hear you, and I hope other architects do too. As SOP here we process our Revit Arch models prior to uploading them to our Revit based consultant teams, as you are doing for yourself. Oh, and we try to create good models in the first place. Remember, this is a team sport.

Thanks,

Dave Lewis
2008-04-14, 11:29 PM
It has nothing to do with being a team sport and has everything to do with there is only some information that we need. We only need the building model and nothing else, no sheets, sections, etc.... Because Revit is such a resource hog we have to cut down on the model size. That is done by eliminating things in the model that we do not need. I'd just like to automate the process.

Lashers
2008-04-14, 11:30 PM
Dave et al,

I hear you, and I hope other architects do too. As SOP here we process our Revit Arch models prior to uploading them to our Revit based consultant teams, as you are doing for yourself. Oh, and we try to create good models in the first place. Remember, this is a team sport.

Thanks,
Hear . . Hear . . ! The sooner we really start working together, the better life will get!

Revitator
2008-04-15, 03:25 PM
It might be possible to do what you want: You'd use the API from .NET.

That should be easier (more accessible) with Revit 2009, because the programming environment VSTA (Visual Studio Tools for Applications) is included in the box.

You could try asking in the API forum: They might know which of your tasks can be done via the API.