PDA

View Full Version : MVpart or Parameteric part?

seanjames
2008-04-15, 04:11 PM
I am going to create a duct take-off modeled after a Buckley Take-off Model 3300. Would it be better to do a MVpart or a Parameteric part for this? I'm having a hard time trying to figure out when one is better suited than the other.

Buckley 3300 cut sheet (http://www.buckleyonline.com/products/pdf/97414.pdf)

Suggestions please.

seanjames
2008-04-15, 04:34 PM
This probably should have went under the "parts builder" section. Could it be moved please?

Thanks,

stelthorst
2008-04-15, 05:53 PM
This probably should have went under the "parts builder" section. Could it be moved please?

Thanks,

Done.

Hi Sean,

I have had very little luck creating parametric parts but the theory behind it is if you have a series of parts that are similar except for one or two variables then a parametric part is the best solution. An example of this would be a pipe fitting that has many sizes but the basic shape is the same for all parts.

MvParts should be used for unique items such as equipment, motor, etc.

I would say, if you can make it work, I think the part you want to build should be parametric.

Hope this helps,

seanjames
2008-04-15, 07:08 PM
Thanks Scott.

I did find on the Autodesk site that someone has done this or something similar.

AndrewT responded with this.

"Parametric would be the preferred choice as there will be so many
different combinations of sizes you'd spend weeks+ creating this as an
MvPart. And only Parametric Parts can be used as default duct fittings.

The basic rectangular to round takeoff has been made by an Autodesk
employee in the UK. I tweaked it to be imperial and posted it a couple
years back. It may be a good starting point for you."

I'm going to give it a try so that I can gain the experience of doing it. Ask me in a couple days if it was worth it. :)

buzz
2008-04-16, 09:14 PM
Sean,

You may get some help by looking at this post: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=74929

For what it's worth, I agree that it should be parametric...

-Buzz