PDA

View Full Version : 2009 material library error

sfaust
2008-04-16, 03:55 PM
So I went to install 2009 and everything went fine... almost.

It downloaded the Protein Library as the last cabinet, then it went to extract the cabinet and I got the error:

"Error: Access is denied. Choose to retry or to skip cabinet 'C:\DOCUME`~1\sfaust\LOCALS~1\Temp\\ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab'."

Since I had the beta installed I figured maybe this was a permissions error, so I went to look for the cab file specified but it didn't seem to exist...

I started Revit and let it download again overnight last night thinking it may be a problem with the first download, but it still did the same thing.

Anyone else had this problem? I had Beta3 installed, and never had an issue with any of the beta builds libraries...

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-16, 04:06 PM
I ran into the same problem on my laptop - but on my desktop at work everything came in just fine. The only difference between the two is the desktop is XP and the laptop is Vista. I don't think that would cause a problem though...

Its with the ProteinMaterialLibrary. I've tried downloading it 3 times on my laptop and no success - is there a location where we can download this .cab file seperate from the install?

muttlieb
2008-04-16, 04:12 PM
I had the same problem. Delete the Rendering folder found in Revit Architecture 2009\Data, and then let Revit download and install the protein material library again.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-16, 04:19 PM
Thanks - I'll try this when I get home to my laptop.

sfaust
2008-04-16, 04:25 PM
thanks, re-downloading and trying right now...

Curious that none of the beta's required that (at least not for me).
thanks

patricks
2008-04-16, 05:28 PM
Everything came in fine for me.

But I'm curious, what is this Protein Library all about?

spirekin
2008-04-16, 05:33 PM
i have strange problem with assetlibrary_base.fbx from Protein Library...all my mats are blue(hasn't preview)
Can somebody share simple library of it(without rpc...a few number of content)?

Thanks
Ilay

jeffh
2008-04-16, 06:04 PM
But I'm curious, what is this Protein Library all about?

This is just the name used to identify the Mental Ray ProMaterials library.

sfaust
2008-04-16, 11:30 PM
sweet, that worked. thanks for the assist.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-17, 01:40 PM
Still doesn't work for me - tried deleting everything and reinstalling and that didn't work either. Which kind of stinks because when I start Revit it says material library wasn't able to install so rendering will be disabled.

Frustrating is that it looks like all of the stuff extracted properly to the Rendering folder - all of the materials, maps, lights, etc are there yet when Revit is started it doesn't recognize it.

I'll give it a go again this morning and let it run and see if it works.

SkiSouth
2008-04-17, 03:33 PM
Chad, are you getting a "rendering not installed" error, or just a problem with the cab download?

spirekin
2008-04-17, 03:49 PM
need small library...why so big?! and will appear crc-problems

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-17, 03:55 PM
Looks like now its a problem with the cab download - I run Revit and it says one or more components were not installed correctly, would you like to try to reinstall (or something to that effect). I choose yes, and it goes through the download and extraction process - gets to 99% and says the file is invalid - would I like to skip or retry. Retry brings me through the process again and skip just ends it until I open Revit and get the first error message I listed here. I suppose I could try and see if it all works ok if I ignore the first message when I open Revit.

luigi
2008-04-17, 04:09 PM
I don't know if this is the problem or not...but

Where is your rendering folder? under Data or Program? Make sure under Settings/Options it is looking at the proper asses file

So I had a beta installed on my machine...the rendering folder was under Data, and everything worked.
When I installed it on another machine I didn't want to download everything again...so I interrupted it. When I ran Revit, it was trying to find the Rendering asset file in the "Program" folder...not Data...I just redirected it to look at the "Data" and everything worked fine.

ps...when I say Program or Data...I mean the C:\Program Files\Revit Archtecture 2009\ that is where I installed revit under

Still doesn't work for me - tried deleting everything and reinstalling and that didn't work either. Which kind of stinks because when I start Revit it says material library wasn't able to install so rendering will be disabled.

Frustrating is that it looks like all of the stuff extracted properly to the Rendering folder - all of the materials, maps, lights, etc are there yet when Revit is started it doesn't recognize it.

I'll give it a go again this morning and let it run and see if it works.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-18, 01:10 AM
So here's the deal: I choose yes to retry installing the ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab and it does the exact same thing. So I launch Revit, and look around in the rendering dialogs and it looks like all the materials, options, effects, etc are there. Whenever I restart Revit it still gives me the warning that not everything was installed correctly but if I choose 'Cancel' from the dialog it won't ever warn me about it again.

So what do you guys think? Looks like everything is there - should I just hit cancel so it quits bothering me?

And just for clarification, the ProteinMaterialLibrary is just the material library for MR right? If the materials show up in the dialog, I should have it.

luigi
2008-04-18, 01:22 AM
If you see the materials...if you see the rendering button, or it is able to render...then you are fine...you might have some other imperial library, training, imperial template or whatever not fully installed....but 99% most likely means everything...

So here's the deal: I choose yes to retry installing the ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab and it does the exact same thing. So I launch Revit, and look around in the rendering dialogs and it looks like all the materials, options, effects, etc are there. Whenever I restart Revit it still gives me the warning that not everything was installed correctly but if I choose 'Cancel' from the dialog it won't ever warn me about it again.

So what do you guys think? Looks like everything is there - should I just hit cancel so it quits bothering me?

And just for clarification, the ProteinMaterialLibrary is just the material library for MR right? If the materials show up in the dialog, I should have it.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-18, 02:28 AM
Ok, so the problem is not fixed.

The material library shows up, I can adjust/reassign materials but when I render all I get is the procedural sky with everything modeled showing up black. See attached image - so I'm guessing something is still wrong with the materials.

Even weirder is that I looked to make sure that Revit was pointing to the correct location for the fiels - and it is! It even shows the asset fbx file and folder with all the rendering stuff in it - but only when I browse the location from within Revit. If I look for it in Windows explorer it is nowhere to be found. I have all hidden folders and files visible.

See attached screenshots - I'm at a loss with this one.

Maybe someone would be kind enough to zip up their Rendering folder and email it to me? Or I could just wait for the disk as was stated earlier... still I'd like to solve the issue.

! - at least the siloutte of the log ends on walls show up nice ; )

luigi
2008-04-18, 02:33 AM
That's bizarre!!! Have you looked into your "Program" folder? Just curious...

Ok, so the problem is not fixed.

The material library shows up, I can adjust/reassign materials but when I render all I get is the procedural sky with everything modeled showing up black. See attached image - so I'm guessing something is still wrong with the materials.

Even weirder is that I looked to make sure that Revit was pointing to the correct location for the fiels - and it is! It even shows the asset fbx file and folder with all the rendering stuff in it - but only when I browse the location from within Revit. If I look for it in Windows explorer it is nowhere to be found. I have all hidden folders and files visible.

See attached screenshots - I'm at a loss with this one.

Maybe someone would be kind enough to zip up their Rendering folder and email it to me? Or I could just wait for the disk as was stated earlier... still I'd like to solve the issue.

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-18, 02:39 AM
I've looked everywhere. I searched my system for the ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab file too or a temp file to see if I could just manually copy the files in there. No luck - no sign of it anywhere but Revit seems to think its there. That is, until it tries to render something.

If I could find the spot where the cab file downloads to maybe I could go grab it and just extract it to the desktop and copy it in... but I have no idea where it is or if Revit is just opening it and extracting it without actually downloading it to the computer.

Actually, I'll just copy the material library folder from the desktop at work and paste it on to the laptop. That should do the trick just fine.

But still, if I ever have to reinstall for some reason...

UPDATE: So I found the temp file thats downloading right now through the content extraction dialog. Its in the windows temp folder called PR3D3E.tmp - its only 39% downloaded and its 216MB right now and growing...big file! I'll see if I can intercept it before it says its invalid again.

iankids
2008-04-18, 02:53 AM
Hi All,

For what it is worth, I have been having similar problems which I think result in the weird way RAC2009 behaves in Shaded mode for me.
I have lodged a support request yesterday & included copies of the error reports which occur @ 56% & 99% (Interestingly on exactly the same file both times) and am awaiting a response from AutoDesk.

As soon as it is to hand, I will post the reply here.

Cheers,

Ian

spirekin
2008-04-18, 08:21 AM
put this into your download manager - http://revit.downloads.autodesk.com/download/2009/ContentAll/ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab
or this is truncated lib(without rpcs, shader textures and enviro.hdres), simple - http://rapidshare.com/files/108405100/trunc_lib.rar.html (12257 KB)
put it into X:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2009\Program\assetlibrary_base.fbm
and X:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2009\Program\assetlibrary_base.fbx

PaperStreet SoapCO
2008-04-18, 01:17 PM
So I got it to work now - completely reformatted the C: Drive (all data resides on the D: Drive) and let Revit install overnight. Everything installed fine without any errors.

Still wondering what the problem was - if it was some weird file structure that was messed up, or if it had something to do with Kaspersky AV (which wasn't running on the fresh install) or a multitude of other things.

Thanks for everyone's help

iankids
2008-04-18, 07:28 PM
Gee, I hope that there is another solution rather than re-formatting the C drive.

I for one would be more inclined to roll back in the installation, continue with 2008 and politely refuse to pay the subscription until the issues are sorted.

Cheers

Ian

iankids
2008-04-23, 11:01 AM
Hi All,

Following is the response I got from AutoDesk on the support request.

Autodesk Subscription

Hi Ian,

We should try a complete clean removal of Revit 2009 and related folders next. I’ve included the steps below:

-Un-install Revit 2009 from the Add\Remove programs
-After the removal, lest delete the following windows folders:
-C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2009
-C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\RAC 2009
-C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Autodesk\REVIT\2009

-Re-install Revit 2009, make sure all related cabinet files are downloaded afterwards. It sounds like there are leftover folders and files not being replaced because they are still there.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or once you have an update. I appreciate your patience on this matter.

Thanks again,

For whatever reason, in my case at least, loading the cab files after the main program file had been loaded has worked completely. Hopefully it will work for others.

Cheers,

Ian

lukaszsw
2008-04-26, 10:28 AM
I tried to download this library like 7 times with content loader.
The strange thing is that everything works, only the water is comletely BLACK. all of the liquid materials turn out black in the rendering?

This truncated library didn't work or perhaps I've put it in the wrong place.
I'm downloading the whole cab file right now (thanks spirekin)

or perhaps there is a way to fix only this water materials?

EDIT: Ok, fixed. Download the file from direct link, although it did get stuck at last 1 kB for a minute. But than I extracted the .cab file, revit notified me again about cabinet missing, but the render is ok

etboards17
2008-04-26, 04:32 PM
I installed Rev 2009 on my XP Machine twice now and Revit can not seem to find the render library. So I checked my Vista machine (which works) to see where the directory was, than re-checked the XP Machine to find that both were identical. I went to options>rendering tab and even re implemented the library location (.fbx). I also tried to move the library to another location and even another drive. Still, Revit on my xp machine can not source the .fbx file. The file exists… and so does the rest of the material library.

What am I missing?

I am going to try and do another re-install. I did not delete all the related files last time.

etboards17
2008-04-26, 05:56 PM
Update: I re-installed Revit again after deleting all the files per the instructions posted above and the render library is still not working. Infact I am getting license errors now. <-----Frustrated.

All the files are there. The.fbx file exists... I dont get it.

iankids
2008-04-27, 06:56 AM
Is the location of the folder on a local drive or a network drive? The screen shot seems to show "S:\" drive.

I don't know if it would make any difference one way or the other.

As I noted above, for me on a very simple stand alone installation everything worked out fine once I had removed all of the remnants of the previous installations - re-booted the computer & installed as instructed.

I guess you could log a support request with your screen shots & see if different advice is forthcoming.

Hope it works out for you quickly, I know I found it very frustrating as I had a couple of projects using 2009.

Cheers,

Ian

etboards17
2008-04-28, 06:04 AM
I took your advice iankids and re-installed after deleting all remnants again, but this time I left all install paths to the c drive.

It is still giving me no render library. I have never been so stumped before and I feel really helpless. If this were my only computer, life would not be good. I have a thesis review on Wednesday and not having the second computer to batch render is a big deal.

I am going to send in a support request. Any Ideas!!

aspy
2008-04-28, 09:07 AM
Im not happy

nole
2008-04-29, 07:31 AM
If I could find the spot where the cab file downloads...
Hi there!
If You perform Network deploy during install You will get all cab files in one folder. Than You could retrieve that one You need.

etboards17
2008-04-29, 05:31 PM
I need a fix fast. I decided to try and install Revit on my slower laptop and it is having problems to. Not only is the library not working, The content loader crashes upon start up. If it gets as far as contacting the server. It takes forever doing that as well and then likes to freeze my computer.. Soo weird.

etboards17
2008-05-05, 02:26 AM
Update: I reformated my second computer, installed Revit 2009 and the same problem occurs. I still can not source the .fbx file. The render library downloads, extracts, and exists. I can see the .fbx file, but the render library is still unusable. When I start the program it tell me that the render library is not installed.

I have windows xp 32 bit, 3200+ Amd Athlon, 7800 GS, 2 gigs of ram.

Please help.

Paul P.
2008-05-05, 08:58 AM
Got the exact same problem, tried multiple installs but still no joy. I figure out what's causing the problem.

johnf.77896
2008-05-09, 02:07 PM
I had the same problem. Delete the Rendering folder found in Revit Architecture 2009\Data, and then let Revit download and install the protein material library again.
what do you mean let Revit download and install it again? I deleted the file and it says that the rendering library is not installed and will be disabled. has there been any resolution to this issue?

thanks
John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

muttlieb
2008-05-09, 02:38 PM
what do you mean let Revit download and install it again? I deleted the file and it says that the rendering library is not installed and will be disabled. has there been any resolution to this issue?
When you start Revit (without the rendering folder present), you should be prompted to reinstall the rendering library. This worked for me, but some people have had additional difficulty getting the material library installed. If this fails, I recommend that you file a support request.

johnf.77896
2008-05-09, 03:17 PM
thanks for the reply. I did delete the mat lib and when I restarted it came up with the same message. I will file.

Thanks
John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

folts
2008-06-05, 07:38 PM
Still no resolution!! Where is autodesk? This shipped 8 weeks ago! I know everyone here has given it their best guess, but clearly "re-boot", "re-install" and even "re-format" isn't working.

If anyone has a work around, please let us know...

mpk
2008-08-14, 09:23 AM
Hi all

I only had problems with the rendering folder and ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab file.

Try to go to the following folder on your network deployment loacation:
\AdminImage\RevitSetup\RevitStructureSeries\program files\Revit Structure 2009 (AutoCAD Suite)\program

Her you will se a file: Revit.ini and a file called Content.rcl

In the Revit.ini file under [Directories] I added the following:
MaterialLibraryFiles=\\*Your Network path*\Content\Rendering

and under [ContentInstalled] sektion I added:
ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab=\\*Your Network path*\Content\Rendering\

Open the Content.rcl file in notepad and add the following:

[Bundle_ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab_1]
language=[any]
units=[any]
name=Material Library
locale=[any]
type=Rendering
size=755.5MB
filename=ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab
description=Material Library for Rendering
usage=[any]
overwrite=0
bytes=792247562
cabbytes=714721254
subfolder=Rendering
fullpath=\\*Your Network path*\AdminImage\ContentAll\ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab
downloadpath=\\*Your Network path*\AdminImage\ContentAll\ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab

This made it work for me so I hope it will help you ... If you don get it to work try and email me and I will help you if I can.

PS: the ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab file has to be placed in the \\*Your Network path*\AdminImage\ContentAll\ProteinMaterialLibrary.cab... or what ever you call your content folder

DESIGN4BUILDING
2008-09-20, 02:45 AM
i had the same prob. but found a check box in the configure. when you see the config. option after you accept installation, click config.. you will see typ. stuff like units and imperial for defult. dont change. above the cancel button you will see the NEXT button. click that and you will see what you need to see...

Jayhar
2022-06-22, 07:01 PM
Update: I re-installed Revit again after deleting all the files per the instructions posted above and the render library is still not working. Infact I am getting license errors now. <-----Frustrated.

All the files are there. The.fbx file exists... I dont get it.

same me also how to get