PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation when saving a Revit file for the consultants

Richard Lopez
2008-04-17, 03:34 PM
Recommendation when saving a Revit file for the consultants. They are using Revit Structure, and Revit MEP.

I would think you would detach it from central then save the detached file to a FTP site. What is every one doing out there?

david.kingham
2008-04-17, 09:51 PM
I just copy it to the ftp and tell the consultants to open it with detach

patricks
2008-04-18, 01:57 AM
I save to central and compact, make sure I have released everything, then open the central file detached. Then I save the file to our FTP server, with FTP at the end of the file name so that I know that I'm in the file on the FTP server. Then I close the file and e-mail everyone that it's available.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-18, 04:39 AM
I agree with David...all that work is a waste of time. When you detach and save it as a new central and then email/put on ftp, the resulting file is still a local file looking at your newly created central. Your consultants still have to open it as a detached copy or just link it in their project.

Depending on size (dwg links/imports, sheets, views, etc), you might consider making a group out of the 3d geometry (and grids if you have any and want to include them) and save the file out as an RVT file. Beware of phasing though as you'll lose that info. Or just tell your consultants to do this if your file is too big and they need a leaner version.