PDA

View Full Version : RAC 2009 - Bug (DDE Server error)

Matt Brennan
2008-04-17, 04:14 PM
Hi Everyone,

Anytime I work on Revit, when closing down the program, I get the following error. Any ideas why? Is it something I should be concerned about?

Any help would be appreciated,

patricks
2008-04-17, 04:18 PM
Sounds like you might need to re-install it. Did you have any issues during the initial install?

Mine starts up and closes down just fine.

Matt Brennan
2008-04-17, 04:51 PM
No problems with the install. I will re-install it later and see if the error contunies. Thanks for the help.

Matt Brennan
2008-04-17, 11:53 PM
Sounds like you might need to re-install it. Did you have any issues during the initial install?

Mine starts up and closes down just fine.

After uninstalling, restarting, re-installing, this error still comes when it closes.

Anyone else has any ideas?

PS. I had no problems when installing.

ws
2008-04-18, 07:32 PM
No help but just to mention that I also had this error (or one extremely similar, didn't note the addresses) when closing Revit the same day I upgraded but not seen it since (I'd forgotten until I saw your post).

Gadget Man
2008-04-19, 10:48 AM
Funny, I have it from time to time (say, around once in 10 sessions) but I am still working in 2008 and I always blamed it on my Windows XP system... Looks like it is an ongoing problem, although not very consistent (in my case).

ws
2008-05-01, 07:55 PM
For no good reason this error message has started appearing at the end of every other Revit session.

Can't find any logic as to why it appears - I keep a very 'clean' cad machine with very little else installed on it.
I've just changed my AV software but made no difference.

Strange.

david.metcalf
2008-05-01, 09:09 PM
Do you have both 2008 and 2009 installed? Which version is it occuring with? Does the shutdown process send the error to Autodesk? Do you get anything back via email from them?

Can you log this issue with Autodesk and attach the journal text file(s) to Autodesk Support for a interpretation of what is happening?

I can't be of more help for you, but I am interested in this. With 2009 it was a couple freezes on startup is all I have encountered, it was a video driver update causing the freezes.

Regards,
David

ws
2008-05-01, 11:19 PM
thanks,

Yes, I have 2008 and 2009 both installed.

No, it does not produce an error report form to send to Autodesk.

It appears some seconds after Revit appears to have happily shut down - and not every time, just occasionally.

Matt Brennan
2008-05-02, 12:40 AM
thanks,

Yes, I have 2008 and 2009 both installed.

No, it does not produce an error report form to send to Autodesk.

It appears some seconds after Revit appears to have happily shut down - and not every time, just occasionally.

Same thing happening here too.

EDIT:
This seems to not affect performance or stability. I was just curious if anyone knew about it and as it shows, there are others who are in the same boat as I am.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2008-07-24, 04:34 PM
We have this happen on some HP computers that have built in graphics card in the motherboard.

We have not tested it any further.

I have a Dell GX620 and have never had this happen.
I have not got this error from other Dells yet.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2008-07-25, 02:39 PM
I don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try.

Our Autodesk Service guy says this;

"After searching for a solution for your Revit 2008 error, it is related to windows and is not a Autodesk product error.

Here is a solution that you may try to resolve this issue:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.

In the Details pane, click Network DDE.

On the Action menu, click Properties.

On the General tab, in Startup type, select disable, and then click OK"

ws
2008-07-25, 03:02 PM
nice try, thanks.

Network DDE is present but not implemented in Vista 64 but I still regularly get errors when closing Revit 2009 wu1.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2008-07-25, 03:38 PM
I didn't realize people were actually using Vista :) Kidding of course.

I guess it might be only work for XP users, we are going to test it a bit more and will post our findings.

Oh, by the way we seem to be only having this happen with Revit 2008 on HP computers, Running Windows XP. Curious?

ws
2008-07-25, 03:50 PM
Vista 64 I like - it runs Revit 2009wu1 slightly slower than in XP but I don't get the OpenGL glitches I used to get in XP with a FireGL v5600, and overall seems very stable since SP1.

but Revit seems to have the same random problem with exiting as it did under XP.

The error appears to be harmless.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2008-07-25, 04:01 PM
The error appears to be harmless.

I hope it is harmless.
I hate seeing errors, (that may be the perfectionist in me talking).

ws
2008-07-25, 04:09 PM
well, 'mostly harmless' maybe ;)

I agree though - it's not good.

You never know what is conflicting with what these days but I keep a very 'clean' cad machine and yet still get this closing down error every couple of days.

Baldwin_4-6-0
2008-08-04, 07:18 PM
Update,
this is happening with the Dells now too w/ Revit 2009.
I think it's related to when I close Revit & then open my task manager, Revit is still running and using a license for a good 3-5 mintues before this error pops up.. curious?

Baldwin_4-6-0
2008-08-05, 11:17 AM
I don't know if it works, but it might be worth a try.

Our Autodesk Service guy says this;

"After searching for a solution for your Revit 2008 error, it is related to windows and is not a Autodesk product error.

Here is a solution that you may try to resolve this issue:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Computer Management, double-click Services and Applications, and then double-click Services.

In the Details pane, click Network DDE.

On the Action menu, click Properties.

On the General tab, in Startup type, select disable, and then click OK"

The fix our Autodesk Support gave us does not work.