PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling out components of a family

wcaramella
2008-04-17, 06:13 PM
I am trying to build a floor panel (or module) for a prefab type construction. The floor panel consists of two strucutural beams (Family type: western species GLB) and joists (structural framing family that I created). I have built the family as a generic family, with the girder and joists loaded as compenents. I have then gone to settings, family catagories and parameters and changed the family to Structural Framing and checked the toggle "Share".

I load the panel family into the project file where I have created a structural framing schedule. All that appears is the panel family, none of its parts schedule out.

I tried one other method by building one panel in the project file and grouping it. Through this approach, I was able to get a tally of the parts but can't seem to figure out how to track the number of groups copied throughout the project.

Any thoughts?

W

jeffh
2008-04-17, 07:56 PM
You need to use nested families. anyhting you want to schedule independantly you need to create as a uniquie family and make sure it is "shared". then nest this family inot the hosting family and assemble all of the pieces, link parameters as required, etc... Now load this family inot the project. You will be able to schedule the individual pieces of the family.

wcaramella
2008-04-17, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. i didn't dig deep enough in the families component to "share".

Now I need to get the structural compenents to behave properly.

W