PDA

View Full Version : brick wall

cheryla
2008-04-18, 02:13 PM
I have a building with a brick wall that has two different types of brick. I will attach a photo. How can I apply different materials to only part of a wall?

patricks
2008-04-18, 02:19 PM
Use the split face tool to draw the boundary on the face of the wall, then use the paint bucket to apply your accent brick material inside the split boundary.

pdickman
2008-04-18, 02:30 PM
There are two different way I might go about this.

You could make two different wall types, one plain and one by "split region" the material to have different brick types. (Search for split region command)

The other also requires two wall type also- one with red brick and one with pink(?). The main wall would be red. You can edit the elevation in proflie to create holes and put the second wall in the holes.

I think I would go with the first, seems like there would be fewer variables to control.

pdickman
2008-04-18, 02:32 PM
Ok. Patrick's way sounds much better. I didn't know you could do that!

bd04
2008-04-18, 03:26 PM
If you want the brick to stand out from the main wall as in the picture create a new wall type, draw the secondary wall in place and use the ‘Cut Geometry’ tool selecting the main wall first as the host. This will insert the second wall allowing you to resize it or move the main wall.

SkiSouth
2008-04-19, 11:58 AM
Or build the opening as a storefront with brick panels and windows as alternate panels.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-19, 03:02 PM
I like Ski's idea best. I'd stay away from split faces. They go away faster than the Runaway bride! Using overlapping walls will work too. Just cut geometry and then join geometry to clean things up.

One hitch I run into when we change materials like this and we use a different wall type is the fact that we designate a wall type mark in plan to be the same as long as the wall structure is the same (ex: masonry veneer on CMU backup). In Revit, if you have 4 different masonry finishes and you create 4 unique walls, their type mark wants to be unique but Revit rightly complains that you have duplicate type marks. This is really due to the way we've always documented. We use the elevations to designate finish materials and not wall type marks. I would rather have unique walls for unique finishes as that's the way moreling works best. Anyone care to comment on this and their workflow?

Mike Sealander
2008-04-19, 07:13 PM
Dave:
I'm doing more and more "unique wall types", but mostly for interior partitions. We still generally try to explain exterior walls in section.
I've also gotten heavy into "Type Mark" annotation using tags. It's a really easy way to track laboratory casework, wall types, specialty equipment, M/E/P fixtures, you name it. Part of this is because we never took the time to develop key notes extensively.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-19, 09:01 PM
Thanks Mike. So are you creating unique detail wall types for every finish material, even though in essence they're the same? For example we simplify a stud backup wall with a masonry finish as one wall type, whether the finish is BK1, BK2, split face CMU, natural stone, etc. Then we designate a finish tag in elevation to communicate that finish. I personally don't like this "CAD" approach. I feel it was developed out of a desire to show information in one place only and not have to deal with a lot of manual coordination effort. But in Revit, if I modeled it correctly, then the "documentation" is really almost automatic. I still see value in simplifying and narrowing down the information to the bare necessities, but sometimes we go too far and become too general.

Mike Sealander
2008-04-20, 01:17 PM
I use a wall tag coding system which has four characters:
A letter indicating the wall core type (CMU, metal stud, wood stud)
A number indicating the core thickness (8" masonry, 4" metal stud)
A number indicating the head type (1-6. I've managed to reduce possible head types to 6)
A letter indicating a variation switch.

These wall types depend on a crucial fact: By far most interior partitions are clad in GWB. However, a bathroom partition may have tile backer and tile. It's wall type might be M44A, indicating a 4" metal stud wall with cladding extending above the finish ceiling and studs to deck above. The "A" switch clarifies this wall is not a GWB-clad wall (That's the vanilla M44 wall type), but the backer and tile wall, which is explained graphically on the wall types sheet.
An M46 wall is the same 4" stud with GWB, but the GWB on both sides of the wall extend to the deck above. And, a unique wall exists in the project for this type.
We don't wall type exterior walls. They vary too greatly to have a simple nomenclature for definition.