PDA

View Full Version : Area Schedule Rounding Issue

Rick Houle
2008-04-18, 05:15 PM
My Project Units for "Area" are set to no decimal places. Therefore my areas round up or down accordingly. So, when I schedule those areas and report the grand total, my grand total does not add up properly. I am one digit off due to rounding. I understand the math and why it is occurring, but I CERTAINLY cannot send this schedule to the client who will immediately think i dont know how to ADD correctly..!!!

Any advice or suggestions here? Should i NOT round my area schedules and let the decimal places show? Or can i truncate the numbers without rounding so the math is correct...??

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-18, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure it will help you but you can leave your areas to show rounded in plan and with decimals on the schedule. Edit the properties for your schedule and under the formating tab for the areas, you can select Field format and use a different rounding for that field. Not only for the grand total, though.

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-04-18, 05:45 PM
My Project Units for "Area" are set to no decimal places. Therefore my areas round up or down accordingly. So, when I schedule those areas and report the grand total, my grand total does not add up properly. I am one digit off due to rounding. I understand the math and why it is occurring, but I CERTAINLY cannot send this schedule to the client who will immediately think i dont know how to ADD correctly..!!!

Any advice or suggestions here? Should i NOT round my area schedules and let the decimal places show? Or can i truncate the numbers without rounding so the math is correct...??

I would set it to show 1 decimal place, or perhaps 2. That way if the total is off, it shouldn't be off by more than a few tenths or even hundreths of a square foot.

When a number is shown to at least 1 decimal place, it should be understood that it's a rounded number, but you could always add a note near the schedule if you're concerned about it.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-18, 05:49 PM
It just came in my mind that maybe you can create a new field on your schedule and use a calculated value parameter to control it there.

Andre Carvalho

Rick Houle
2008-06-02, 11:56 AM
Interesting, I might try that. Though, i wouldn't know where to begin with the Calculated Value. I would have to read the "rounded number" and then add that?
I think your suggestion to show a couple decimal places will be much easier.

patricks
2008-06-02, 01:37 PM
See my post here for a solution to the problem:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=80094&highlight=rounding

Basically you make your actual area value a hidden field in your schedule, and you set up another field with a calculated value equal to that hidden field, but make it an Integer field. Then you set that Integer field to calculate totals and it will add up correctly.

Rick Houle
2008-06-06, 03:27 PM
Come on..!
How can Revit be so... right
in such a crazy world...

Thanks for that, i look forward to trying it out..!!

troy.crandell635379
2008-10-27, 06:56 PM
See my post here for a solution to the problem:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=80094&highlight=rounding

Basically you make your actual area value a hidden field in your schedule, and you set up another field with a calculated value equal to that hidden field, but make it an Integer field. Then you set that Integer field to calculate totals and it will add up correctly.

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I always get an inconsistant units error when I try to set the type to integer. Please explain.

patricks
2008-10-27, 09:51 PM
I'm probably doing something wrong, but I always get an inconsistant units error when I try to set the type to integer. Please explain.

The first calculated value (to calculate number of people) should already have the units such that you end up with just a number. So our formula is (Area / S.F.PerPerson) / 1' ^ 2. The area in square feet divided by square feet per person (just a number field) leaves you with a result in square feet. You have to divide by 1 square foot to get that calculated value back to plain number units. Then you can set up your second integer field that is equal to your calculated number field.