PDA

View Full Version : Roofing Gurus Please Help

yakob1966
2008-04-18, 05:34 PM
I am doing a remodel & addition to an elementary school that has a unique saw blade look to it. (It happens to be building that my grandpa designed back in the early 60’s) I am trying to get the main roof slope shown correct, the roof needs to slope approximately 1/8” per foot from the outer roof edge down to the inner roof edge of the courtyard. I need to maintain a consistent outer roof edge height and a consistent inner roof edge height. I’ve tried everything I can think of so anyone who has any ideas, please help. Attached is the Revit file so you can play around with it. Thanks in advanced.

patricks
2008-04-18, 05:41 PM
Was it actually built with a consistent height around the inner and outer edges? If so, then they would have had to warp the roof deck. You should be able to achieve what you need with the roof point editing tools, but you might consider breaking the roofs up into separate pieces between each grid line.

Pretty unique design, though. Could you share some pictures of the existing building?

yakob1966
2008-04-18, 06:04 PM
Am not familiar with the roof point editing tools, is that a specific command.

The only picture that really shows the building well is an image from Live Search Maps. Enjoy!

patricks
2008-04-18, 07:19 PM
Wow, all those portable buildings... I can see why they need to add on!

The point editing tools were new in RAC 2008. When you select a floor or roof, you'll see tools appear near the top of the screen. This let's you pick points on the floor or roof and set specific elevations relative to the overall object.

If you build the roofs as separate pieces between each grid line, you could pick the edges and/or corners of the roof to set the height at the inner and outer edges.

Also I believe something new with RAC2009 is that you can set the inner and outer curved edges to be a constant elevation.

yakob1966
2008-04-18, 08:03 PM
those point tools don't show up when i select my roof or when i try to create smaller roofs in between the grids. however when i create a simple square roof those point tools show up. any reason why it only works on some roofs and not others.

yakob1966
2008-04-18, 08:08 PM
i just got an error that said that the point tools can only be used on straight lines our inner courtyard wall is curved. do you know of any other workarounds that would help.

patricks
2008-04-18, 08:30 PM
Yep, install RAC 2009. ;)

I forgot that those tools were only available on roofs or floors with all straight edges in 2008. In 2009 you can use those tools on elements with curved edges, as well.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-19, 04:21 AM
yakob, in 2008, you have to do the following:

a) Remove any curves from the roof sketch;
b) When you select the roof, now the shape editing functions will appear on the Options bar;
c) Create an in-place roof family. Add voids with the curved shapes you want the roof edge to follow. Cut geometry from your roof and finish the in-place family.
d) Finish shape editing as required.

EDIT: See attached. I did a couple of points and moved the inner points a foot down. Add more points as necessary and adjust the elevation.