PDA

View Full Version : 2009 - File location is duplicating itself!

patricks
2008-04-18, 09:54 PM
In the Options > File Locations menu, under Places, I always add more library locations to give me a quick link to our server root directory, FTP site, things like that. Well now I have done the same in 2009, and my link to our FTP site has duplicated itself many times... 56 times to be exact.

So I removed all of those links except for one, and now it is creating another duplicate of that one link every time I open a file. See screen shot attached.

I then removed that FTP link completely from the list of Places, but the duplicated links remained on the left side of the Open or Save dialog boxes until I manually removed them.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-18, 10:31 PM
Interesting...sorry Patrick, I don't know if to laugh at this or not :lol: Seems quite comical but a real problem for sure. I never had that issue with the Beta but then I didn't add ftp type links either. It's peculiar that it's the only one proliferating itself.

Wes Macaulay
2008-04-25, 06:00 PM
Is anyone having trouble with the places dialog being dead slow? I add or change a location in the dialog, and it takes a minute or two for the program to come back after I make a change...

david.kingham
2008-04-25, 06:27 PM
This has really been irritating me...I've added my custom paths through the ini and look at the mess I end up with! No laughing Dave! :)

patricks
2008-04-25, 06:34 PM
That's weird... that FTP place I added is the only one I ever had trouble with duplicating itself. I added other places but none of them are duplicating themselves.

dbaldacchino
2008-04-25, 08:08 PM
I can't contain myself David!! :Puffy:

Now when it happens to me, I won't be so "puffy".

gwnelson
2008-09-29, 05:21 PM
This cancerous duplication of (1) place link has begun on my laptop, too. Anyone find a cure or do we have to have a Jerry Lewis Telethon?

david.kingham
2008-09-29, 05:32 PM
These are located in the registry now, take a look here and delete the extra keys
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Revit\Revit Architecture 2009\Profiles\AllAnavDialogs

gwnelson
2008-09-29, 05:38 PM
Thanks, David.

patricks
2008-09-29, 07:57 PM
I find that if you just navigate to the folder you want and then hit the Tools button on the lower left and choose Add To Favorites, it will be added and won't duplicate itself. At least it hasn't for me, yet. The downside is that there is no way to change the name it places below the icon button for that place.

ir.139957
2009-10-02, 01:59 AM
1) You have to launch the registry editor (regedit) and than
2) go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Revit\Revit Architecture 2009\Profiles\AllAnavDialogs
3) Delete ALL keys under this directory apart from "(Default)"
4) Select the directory with a right mouse click in the treeview and select "Permissions"
5) Click "DENY" full control for each user
6) Click OKAY and confirm the warning with YES, cause WE ARE SURE.

This will not allow Revit anymore to write **** into your registry which led to memory problems and delays when opening files. Once you reached some 2000 entries it would crash your revit.
That'll fix it until you update,upgrade or reinstall.

patricks
2009-10-02, 12:19 PM
hmm sounds interesting but... I NEED some of the places listed in that particular registry location, like the default location for project files, our Revit library on the server, etc.

Interestingly, the PlacesOrder key number went up to 68 in that 2009 registry folder. :shock: In 2010 there are only 10 or 11 entries.

ir.139957
2009-11-04, 12:57 AM
Hi there.

Well, then delete all entries apart from DEFAULT and the entries you like to keep.
Another option is to add entries manually to REVIT.INI. They will show up in the PLACES as well.
Hope that helps.

patricks
2009-11-04, 01:47 PM
No need to do that. Just navigate to the place, click the Tools button at the lower left of the dialog, and choose "Add Folder to Places". I have not had any issues with this method.

However I did find that I could edit some of those Registry keys you mentioned to change the name shown below the button in the Places list. Works great.

For example, our project files are stored on our server mapped as Z:\AERC. When I navigate to that folder and add it to the Places list, the name under the button shows up as "AERC on 'server' (Z:\)" I edited the registry key so that button's title would simply be Z:\AERC.