PDA

View Full Version : PDF or DWF

BomberAIA
2008-04-19, 01:44 PM
I was wondering what everyone is using. Also, what are the pros and cons. All my clients can read PDF's. I use Adobe Pro 8.

aretap
2008-04-19, 01:58 PM
We are starting to make the move to DWF because of the ability to redline and dim. faster and easier in them. I also found out that if a DWF is pulled onto a web browser that the browser will install an active x control and then function just like you are viewing it from the DWF viewer. We need to do more research on this method of file opening but if a browsers can open the file then everyone should be able to view it. My 2 cents worth.

whittendesigns
2008-04-19, 03:53 PM
I also found out that if a DWF is pulled onto a web browser that the browser will install an active x control and then function just like you are viewing it from the DWF viewer.

This is true for internet Explorer 7 but not for Firefox or Safari. I don't know about IE6. There may be some add ons you can download, but so far the easiest I've seen in IE7 and to accept the blocked content warning.

ws
2008-04-19, 05:05 PM
Revit was my introduction to Autodesk products and I was quite surprised at how good .DWF was when I tried it ;)

Unfortunately in the UK the national online planning application system asks for .PDF format for drawings and has no mention of .DWF (surely something for A'desk UK to pursue?)

Clients say they have Adobe Reader installed but frequently I find that output from Acrobat 8 Pro causes them problems - perhaps because they have a pre v5 Reader installed - or possibly because I always lock my pdfs.

It is amazing how many architects send out their drawings as pdfs without locking them (in the UK at least - maybe they're more aware in the US?)

todd.harris
2008-04-19, 06:30 PM
One other thought on DWF.... in an *engineering* market, people tend to be PC-based. As you move more toward *design*, there are a lot of Mac users. So far, PDF is the easiest way by far (in my experience, anyway) to cross that line. DWF on Mac is tedious at best.

Scott D Davis
2008-04-20, 09:17 PM
With Revit 2009, create a DWFx file. Then anyone with Windows Vista can open the file natively. No plugins or installs necessary.

Joef
2008-04-21, 02:23 AM
Will a DWFx file open on a MAC? I never use DWF. PDF is easy and everyone knows what you are sending them. Imagine sending a client a DWF and then explaing that they have to get Vista or download and install a viewer. I have more clients using Macs than Vista.

Alex Page
2008-04-21, 03:08 AM
Dont know how others are dealing with PDF file sizes, but if I dwf a 50 page set of A1 drawings (not raster ones thou (ie: no shadows)) the size is still emailable (ie: <5 Mbs)
Creating a 50 page PDF set, at A1 size with a high enough resolution to print full size, its is at least 20Mb...so we use dwf!

Chad Smith
2008-04-21, 03:14 AM
We are still using PDF.
Revit still can't create small DWF files when printing a Shaded view, a view with Shadows or a 3D view. Which for me, makes up a large portion of the drawings I do. So until this is fixed, we are staying with PDF.

Scott D Davis
2008-04-21, 01:43 PM
Will a DWFx file open on a MAC?.

If its running Windows Vista through Boot Camp... :)

BomberAIA
2008-04-22, 11:21 AM
I tried to publish to DWF yesterday and Revit crashed. With shadows turned on it seamed to be quicker than a PDF. The PDF file did not make Revit crash. I'm using Vista in Boot Camp.

pdickman
2008-04-22, 01:33 PM
We use .pdf's, but from the discussion, it seems we should look into the .dwf format. What are the steps A client would need to follow to open a .pdf? PDF's are easy because all they have to do is double-click. What would be the exasperation level for a non-tech savvy person to download a viewer and open a file?

(We are staying away from Vista for now and many of our clients will be slow to update.)