PDA

View Full Version : voids to cut with.....

ntnik
2008-04-23, 09:43 PM
i have several in my model for wall openings......i need to edit (or delete) a few and change some opening sizes....i have tried to grab in several different views (tabbing like a madman).....and i have my "masses" turned on.....where are they?

cphubb
2008-04-23, 11:00 PM
You have to select the edge of the object being cut. It can be difficult, use the tab key.

ntnik
2008-04-23, 11:16 PM
i'll keep trying but i havent had any luck with that (at other times they seem to become visable (yellow outline of void shape)....looking for the way to make that show up again

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-24, 04:34 AM
You can navigate on your project browser until you find (+) Families. From there you have to find the category you created you voids in. For instance, if you create them as Generic models, go to (+) Generic models and you will find all of them. Right click on the name and select all instances. The just click edit or just delete.

Andre Carvalho

ntnik
2008-04-24, 01:37 PM
........cool, thanks

ntnik
2008-04-24, 03:13 PM
should have organized voids better with nameing them....i have "several", lol....will do so in future....why are the perfectly visable and lines are faded yellow sometimes in plan and not others?

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-24, 04:15 PM
...why are the perfectly visable and lines are faded yellow sometimes in plan and not others?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The faded yellow ones are the voids that aren't cutting anything. When they are cutting, they aren't visible anymore. If that is the case, you have to hover over it (and sometimes use TAB) to be able to see them as faded yellow lines.

Andre Carvalho

ntnik
2008-04-24, 04:19 PM
that explains it....hadnt realized they werent cutting when visable, recently began using the tool...(they may have been"extras")

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-24, 04:25 PM
But if they weren't cutting anything is because you probably just selected them with the tool "Don't Cut". They couldn't be like that before you edit the family because Revit wouldn't allow you to leave a void family if a void is not cutting anything. If you try to leave a family and the void isn't cutting anything, Revit will pop up a message prompting you to delete it.

If you are just starting using this tool, this is a good info to know about.

Andre Carvalho

narlee
2008-04-24, 11:26 PM
Finding voids It's a real PIA in Revit - wish they would put some tracer die on them :). I don't think we should have to resort to naming every g.d. void we make. BTW, sometimes, going into a 3D view can help find them. Otherwise, as suggested above, looking for a cut edge of a solid is a good shot at finding them. Use the tab key a lot while your looking.

Good luck!

Steve_Stafford
2008-04-25, 11:13 AM
...Finding voids It's a real PIA in Revit - wish they would put some tracer die on them :). I don't think we should have to resort to naming every g.d. void we make...!Just select a solid, voids will become visible, click on the one you want to edit.

Fwiw, if a void intersects a solid(s) when you finish the sketch it will cut the solid(s). If not it won't cut a solid without using the "cut gometry" tool.

Andre Carvalho
2008-04-25, 03:53 PM
Just select a solid, voids will become visible, click on the one you want to edit.

Fwiw, if a void intersects a solid(s) when you finish the sketch it will cut the solid(s). If not it won't cut a solid without using the "cut gometry" tool.

And if you create a solid and later change it to become a void, then it won't automatically cut the solid it is intersecting. You'll have to use "Cut Geometry" as Steve mentioned.

Andre Carvalho