PDA

View Full Version : Wall area calculations

cris_scotti
2008-04-24, 04:52 PM
I know that the wall area excludes the area of all its openings (doors, windows and openings using edit profile). This is good, but I also need the gross area of a wall, that is, the wall surface area as if it did not have any openings. I couldn't find a way to do this with Revit. Paper and pencil are out of the question. How can I obtain a wall schedule showing the gross area surface? I'll appreciate direccions to do this.

Cristina

SkiSouth
2008-04-25, 12:36 PM
How about creating the wall in a phase prior to adding windows. Set your phase to the wall only phase and schedule it, then finish the project as you normally would with a later phase.

DoTheBIM
2008-04-25, 12:45 PM
That's a very creative solution as long as it doesn't interfere with other uses of phases in a project. I too need gross wall area for drywall calculation and such. We take the data outside of Revit where we add back in the area of windows and doors for such calculations.

Chris DiSunno
2008-04-25, 01:36 PM
For flat ceilings (and floors) how about doing a room schedule and letting the schedule tell you the perimeter. I think you can handle using a pencil from that point.

cris_scotti
2008-04-25, 04:19 PM
Thank you all. They are very creative answers. I was hoping someone would know how to make Revit do it. One way could be to make window/door information available to the wall schedule. Is this possible right now? Then a simple formula would give me (all of us, Reviteers) the wall gross area. Developers, are you listening?
Thanks again,
Cristina

DoTheBIM
2008-04-25, 05:11 PM
Thank you all. They are very creative answers. I was hoping someone would know how to make Revit do it. One way could be to make window/door information available to the wall schedule. Is this possible right now? Then a simple formula would give me (all of us, Reviteers) the wall gross area. Developers, are you listening?
Thanks again,
Cristina
Not possible inside Revit by default. We attempted something similar outside of Revit but I think it complicated things for the developer so much they couldn't support it with the current project scope. File a support request and add it to the wish list if you want the developers to hear you.

cris_scotti
2008-04-25, 06:44 PM
Not possible inside Revit by default. We attempted something similar outside of Revit but I think it complicated things for the developer so much they couldn't support it with the current project scope. File a support request and add it to the wish list if you want the developers to hear you.
I'd like to place a support request. How do I go about it? Thank you.

DoTheBIM
2008-04-25, 06:47 PM
I'd like to place a support request. How do I go about it? Thank you.Either log into the subscription site (assuming you are on subscription), or In Revit go to Help>Create support Request, which takes you to the login page and starts the support request after you log in.

patricks
2008-04-25, 06:58 PM
Walls have a field that reports unconnected height. Why can this field not be put into a schedule? If it could, then you could use a formula to get gross area w/o openings.

DoTheBIM
2008-04-25, 07:00 PM
If it could, then you could use a formula to get gross area w/o openings. You can't assume all walls have a flat top or the profile hasn't been edited, which is probably one of the reasons they don't allow scheduling of that parameter.