PDA

View Full Version : Orient view of family

wse1
2008-04-24, 08:44 PM
I need to draw muntins in the flanker windows of a 45 deg. bay window. I need to re-orient my view and drawing plane so that it is parrallel to the glass surface. How can I rotate the view of a family?

Thanks for the help!

SkiSouth
2008-04-25, 02:55 AM
create elevation, select elevation mark, rotate elevation mark to align with side bays. Oops, my mistake you said family. - Go to the family, create a reference plane that aligns with your 45 degree side lights. Go to properties of the reference plane. Give the reference plane a name. Go to a 3dview, select view (pulldown) , then orient, then orient by plane, then the reference plane. Also set the work plane to be either the plane you just aligned to, or another appropriate reference plane. You can work the model as if in elevation (although in reality you are in a straight on 3d view). Give the 3d view a unique name and you can jump back and to this view without all this fuss.

wse1
2008-04-25, 01:33 PM
Thanks that worked great!

tomnewsom
2008-04-25, 02:54 PM
You can create section views in the family editor and rotate them however you wish. No need to mess about with ref planes (although it's a good idea to use them for setting out, of course)